• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lifted my lvl II !!!

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
haha thats pretty sweet! i only wish mine cost that. im thinking if i go with a body lift as well im gonna do that myself.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
BL's are stupid easy, but very time consuming.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Spilly, are you still running the stock drive shaft or did you replace it with the lift? If it is visible on the first pic you posted, I can't tell since I'm looking at my 9" computer screen....

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
it ain't visible in any of the pics.

appletonbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Nice rock crawler there -spilly. I even like the Suzuki set-up. Sure is some nice wheelin country you have there in BC. Take a wrong turn there and you would probably still be rolling a week later. :eek:

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
figures the heep would get stuck.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i want ur old alcoas!

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
Spilly, are you still running the stock drive shaft or did you replace it with the lift? If it is visible on the first pic you posted, I can't tell since I'm looking at my 9" computer screen....
yes im currently still running stock drive shafts. i know superlift recommends buying theirs, however its just not in the budget right now. i figure ive got a few months before its any kind of concern.

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I only got a couple months and 2 wheeling trips out of my stocker(4,000 miles). Front end will feel like it's falling apart when it goes...or it rips the rear boot andyou've got grease flyin' everywhere.

I highly highly HIGHLY suggest having all the tools you'll need to remove it in the glovebox or centerconsole at all times. I had everything BUT torx sockets. Had to get a tow home....thank god for AAA...would've been about a $250 tow.

I bypassed the superlift shaft...and made my own using a double cardon shaft from an explorer, shortened it, and used an adaptor from Neapco. End outcome was a shaft EXACTLY like the superlift, for about half the price.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f37/73188-front-driveshaft.html

Last edited:

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Is the Superlift shaft supposed to last forever? Or is the angle going to shorten the life span of any shaft?

-spilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L. V-6
Transmission
Manual
I only got a couple months and 2 wheeling trips out of my stocker(4,000 miles). Front end will feel like it's falling apart when it goes...or it rips the rear boot andyou've got grease flyin' everywhere.

I highly highly HIGHLY suggest having all the tools you'll need to remove it in the glovebox or centerconsole at all times. I had everything BUT torx sockets. Had to get a tow home....thank god for AAA...would've been about a $250 tow.

I bypassed the superlift shaft...and made my own using a double cardon shaft from an explorer, shortened it, and used an adaptor from Neapco. End outcome was a shaft EXACTLY like the superlift, for about half the price.

http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f37/73188-front-driveshaft.html
ive actually had this really ugly sound come from under my truck somewhere in the front on a wheeling trip. this like grinding groaning sound scared the hell outa me :icon_surprised: i figured it may have been a wheel bearing seeing as how i sunk it REALLY good the weekend before but now ive been thinking posibly drive shaft was the noise. its gone away for the most part except when im on logging roads i hear some abnormal squeak from somewhere up front. im pulling tires tonight and taking a closer look. (*fingers crossed*)

Fx4wannabe01

Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is the Superlift shaft supposed to last forever? Or is the angle going to shorten the life span of any shaft?
Everything wears out in time. The superlift shaft has a double cardon joint in the rear at the tcase end that allows for far better operating angles compared to the stock shaft. The install of the superlift OR RCD or Trailmaster kits drop the differential down so far that that joint is overextended and the angle is beyond the joints operational angle, and causes a bind in that joint.

Double Cardon is basically two u joints to form a really nice high angle joint. If you look closely at alot of dual purpose trail rigs, they all tend to have double cardons.

Here's a pic of my shortened 95-99/00 explorer front shaft versus a stock ranger shaft:

And a shot showing the new shaft and the adaptor...

And YES the superlift shaft fits a stock unlifted truck. Superlift shaft IS a explorer shaft shortend and uses the same adaptor I used.

Heads up: if you plan on getting a manual transfer case, I highly suggest installing one when you're ready for a new front shaft. That way, if you get a 1354 from a 97 and older explorer, all you'd need is the front shaft from that donor truck....no special adaptors needed since the case has the correct front output on it already. You only need an adaptor if you've got the stock 98+ tcase with that stupid 'ball rotator cup' front output. That way, you dont have to spend more money in the long run on yet another front shaft to replace the one you can't use anymore(shorted expo or SL) and the adaptor.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
MAN! Look at that view!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals