• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

weird overheating issue

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is on a 198 4 b2 with 2.8 durasparked

it seems when the outside temperature is below 32 degrees it over heats but when it is warmer then 32, like say today it is 65 out it runs in the r in normal even after i pushed it hard. i can only think fan clutch. but i dunno what to think. no body i have talked to, have encountered this problem. so any input would be very appreciated.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Do you have the t-stat in the lower radiator hose or the upper one. I found a t-stat housing two piece that goes on the intake manifold I believe it came out of a 85 B-II with A/C. It could very likely be the fan clutch only one way to find out. I know mine did all kinds of weird stuff until I put the thermostat on the upper hose I found the best way to fill the radiator is to put a flushing tee in the heater hose that goes to the intake manifold pour the antifreeze and water in there until it fills the radiator. It takes longer but it fills up the heater core and bypass, it can be a pain getting rid of the air locks in the system.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my pop said he tried a range of t stats in the lower housing. i thought that the upper hose may have had a t stat in it. because of my 3.0 ranger. but he said no. he also said that he went through and installed new sending unit and gauge. to see if that was the issue. but that since he had the b2 it always ran hot when it was colder and fine when it was warm.

jhammel85

I think that if that doesn't work, you should try a new fan clutch. You could be right about that..

big red 138

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
see if you can stop the fan clutch by hand, if so its bad. but if its cold out the fan clutch shouldnt cause an overheating issue, especially during cold weather. all it does it pull air through at idle, while your cruising the air flows through the radiator and itll be fine.

whats the condition of your collant? lots of rust, debris? radiator filled partially or entirely with water? if the tempeture is freezing it could (<-- keyword) cause the coolant to freeze, which could restrict the thermostat from opening all the way, long enough for the coolant in the engine to overheat. try flushing the radiator and add pure antifreeze( there will still be water in the block to dilute it, so you dont need premix). you could also replace the thermostat, both are very cheap and dont take long.

jhammel85

see if you can stop the fan clutch by hand, if so its bad. but if its cold out the fan clutch shouldnt cause an overheating issue, especially during cold weather. all it does it pull air through at idle, while your cruising the air flows through the radiator and itll be fine.

whats the condition of your collant? lots of rust, debris? radiator filled partially or entirely with water? if the tempeture is freezing it could (<-- keyword) cause the coolant to freeze, which could restrict the thermostat from opening all the way, long enough for the coolant in the engine to overheat. try flushing the radiator and add pure antifreeze( there will still be water in the block to dilute it, so you dont need premix). you could also replace the thermostat, both are very cheap and dont take long.
You can tie a string to the fan and achor it on something sturdy instead of using your hands. At least that's what I did.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clogged radiator seemed to be the problem once it was changed out i drove it 20 miles and no issues and was o between o and below r on NORMAL where as before it when it was before it was between the bottom of n and o. they did put the thermostat in a bad spot though.

big red 138

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can tie a string to the fan and achor it on something sturdy instead of using your hands. At least that's what I did.
true, i have a set of gloves in my box so i usually just trow it on real quick... i think the thermostat and water pump are in a great place.... niiice and easy to get to

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
water pump....thermostat should be in the top like the 3.0 though in my opinion

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If the rusty water comes back it will just plug the radiator again it settles in the low spots in the block and will always be a problem. There is a thermostat housing that fits on the intake manifold. It is a two piece housing with a 1" bypass hose, I believe they came on the 85 B-II with A/C. Your correct the thermostat on the lower hose was a bad idea. I got lucky and found mine at the bone yard looking for a carb. The only way to get rid of the rust is pull the water pump and with high pressure water blast out the block. The rust also prevents the heat to transfer properly from the block.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
You can kind of see the housing

big red 138

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Clogged radiator seemed to be the problem once it was changed out i drove it 20 miles and no issues and was o between o and below r on NORMAL where as before it when it was before it was between the bottom of n and o. they did put the thermostat in a bad spot though.
youll still wanna run some flush. like kimcrwbr1 said, more then likely that shits throughout the rest of the system.

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i replaced the radiator and all of the radiator fluid that came out was green as green as can be. i replaced it with new stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals