• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Tune-Up

Brandon_Kelsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I am about to do my tune up on a 1992 Ranger, 4.0. The plugs don't look like they'll be hard to get out, but I could be wrong. They maybe a little hard to get to. But thats not my main concern, I was wondering if anyone could offer any good tips on preparation, what to do or look for during and what I should do post tune up. I havn't done a tuneup on a Ford yet, that's why I'd like to do my own, so any tips or suggestions on what type of plug to use or any product is greatly appreciated.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It should be the same basics as a tune up on any other make. My major suggestion is to clean around the plugs before you pull them, there will probably be a lot of junk there and you don't want that stuff inside your engine on messing up the threads.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
"They" say that the Ford plugs work the most consistently , opinions are divided on almost every other plug out there , my understanding is most any good quality plug wire is fine, while you are doing this get electrical cleaner and a T-20 security torx and clean you mass airflow sensor ( look it up in the forums or google) , change you gas filter and air filter . Of course make sure the plugs are gapped properly (a different procedure for fine wire platinum )

Dune Runner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999 4.0
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just did my plugs. I used Autolite Platinums. The rear passenger side is the hardest. I had to go through the wheel well on that one.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
A "tune up" today is actually a misnamed action, because on a non carburetor engine there is nothing to tune. the computer controls every aspect of the motor's air/fuel/spark timing.

What you want to know is "what should be looked at for regular/preventive maintenance"

if the truck is "new to you" and you don't know the history, an oil change with new filter should be mandatory.

new fuel filter can't hurt.

check antifreeze condition, should be changed every 3 years to prevent the chemicals from becoming useless.

while under the truck, grab a grease gun and give all nipples you find a shot or 2.

i am in the camp of, "if its not broken, don't waste money looking for phantom problems"

learn how to diagnose and troubleshoot the right problems.

new plugs are good with air filter, wires though if you want to spend the money. if they look newer and seem in good condition, judgement call.

before taking out the plugs, if you see gunk in there, grab a small vacuum (if you have a small hose style) and suck up anything that might be there. i have a small style one in my shop that i use for these sorta jobs. it can be a pain getting a non flexible hose there if you have air con.

if you are going to change the plugs, do them 1 at a time to be sure not to mix the wires up, don't think that it can't happen to of couple wires.

cheers

Brandon_Kelsey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. TUne up went fine, once i put in the right plugs, the old ones were the wrong kind. Not size, so my pistons are fine. I also did the PCV valve with no issue. The fuel filter and radiator flush is going to be done soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals