• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Flex Fuel sensor location

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anyone know the location of the flex fuel sensor on a 2002 EX-cab 3.0.

It is not on the frame rail under the drivers seat and I have crawled around under it from front to back, it is a flex for sure by the VIN # and the green leaf was on the tailgate

Thanks

JP02XLT

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
Mine is on the frame rail on the driver's side, roughly where the parking prake is if I recall - looks like this:

I looked at mine the other day when I was under changing oil and looking at body mounts.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think JP figured out awhile ago that 2000 was the last year for the flex fuel sensor. The FFVs used the o2s and some fancy PCM tuning to determine the alcohol content after that.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I did figure it out but Thanks James86 for the pic & taking the time to post

JP02XLT

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Huh. I looked on Rockauto under a 2002 and it listed one. I know they did stop using them eventually, just wasn't sure of the year. Does yours have one mitch? I know my co-worker with a 2000 FFV had a weird fulter with 3 connections so I figured his fuel system was different but wasn't sure if that was when they scrapped the alcohol sensor. They're $500ish online, so I can see why FoMoCo would've stopped using them lol.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep, my 2000 has one just like the one you posted. It's tucked up inside the driver's side frame rail under the cab.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If your sensor fails, you can find a 'fix' on Ford-trucks that one user concocted. It sets the FFV at a fixed percent of ethanol, and leaves it at that. It presents the computer with a value that is acceptable and close to current mix numbers.
Using the 'stuff' being sold as gasoline these days, it has a supposed max of 10%, but I don't necessarily believe that given the mileage differences from tank to tank with very similar use.
tom

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I don't know if that's such a great idea..... E85 can be anywhere from 70%-85% ethanol which seems a fairly big variable. Winter blends might even be lower, but the pumps around here have a big orange sticker saying "MINIMUM 70% ETHANOL" so that's a 15% range.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That is the problem trying to tune my supercharged truck on e-85, with the inconsistency at the pump and the very poor strategy that Ford decided to use after dumping the sensor and relying on what way the wind blows. to determine alcohol content, it just will not work correctly, so if I want to use e-85 (which I really like for the SC setup) I have to fill the tank with a 75/25%, gas/e85 ratio in order for the tune to correctly accommodate and adjust accordingly.

JP02XLT

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I wonder if you could maybe retrograde to an earlier 3.0 PCM. After mid 99, the valves changed, and after 00 I believe they changed from a 4spd auto to a 5spd auto, but if you have a manual, I'd think maybe you could look for an older manual 3.0 FFV that supports the sensor and then you'd be able to measure your alcohol content. At least it would all be OEM equipment so you shouldn't have too many issues getting it to work I'd imagine. Or would it violate some emission law?

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is an auto, I dont think the valve change would have any impact on the tune, besides my heads and intake have been heavily ported and polished, so there nowhere near stock configuration. As for the sensor it would be nice to know exactly and tune accordingly this "new" method is just a shot in the dark. As for the emission aspect, Indiana is very lax, if it runs and does not smoke too bad, that is good for the local authorities, I did have my truck checked at one of the free testings that was offered by the EPA up here and it passed with flying colors.. All the did was a visual inspection and sniffed the tailpipe. I can tell you more about how it runs from the color in the tailpipe, a plug read and some 02 info, more so than what they were sniffing for.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals