• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So it's time for me to replace camshaft syncronizer?

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 125 kms on my 2006 3.0. I have been reading about this and am concerned. Do I just go to my local mechanic and tell him to replace the camshaft synchronizer and camshaft position senser?
Are they supposed to replace it or just check it?
Also is it okay for me to get an after market piece or a ford part?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you're concerned about it, have it all replaced. It may not necessarily need to be replaced right now (they typically last over 160,000kms) , but for your peace of mind I'd just do it all and rest easy for another 100,000 or so . It's not a difficult job for the average guy to do in the driveway in 30 minutes, but it is an important piece, so if you're not confident then it's probably best to have a shop do it.

Aftermarket synchros have a pretty bad reputation. They'll work for awhile, but their effective life span is usually a fraction of the Motorcraft/Ford part. Nothing but Motorcraft synchros for me.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The fear of a failed syncro seems to be from earlier ones which had a plastic drive gear which, when a failure occurred from a stripped gear, would stop the oil pump and seize the engine as the syncro also drives the oil pump.

My 03 had a metal gear, but it was replaced due to squeaking from the sensor pickup flag shaving chips off the plastic sensor. The gear was in good condition.

The sensor replacement cost alone may be small enough that replacing it is no big extra, but the dealership may charge an exorbitant fee for the sensor which is easy to replace compared to the syncro.

I wouldn't panic, you could wait until it starts to make noise which seems a common symptom.

Bronco638

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Rearanger said:
I wouldn't panic, you could wait until it starts to make noise which seems a common symptom.
I was going to replace mine (~126K miles) and chatted with the parts guys at the local Ford shop (whom I trust - never steered me wrong and I did a lot of mods to my ex-Explorer). He told me to wait until it starts to make noise. As stmitch mentioned, I'd stick with FoMoCo parts for this.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright thanks al for the advice. I think I will wait awhile then. I sometimes do hear a squealing at start up when it's cold but next time it does that I will take the belt of and see if it stops then at least I know it won't be the synchronizer. I doubt it is anyway because it doesn't chirp like one. probably powersteering pump or alternator is my guess.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I sometimes do hear a squealing at start up when it's cold...
My symptom as well. I removed the sensor only and found plastic shavings under it. The metal flag on the syncro was acting as a lathe to remove the inner plastic housing.

I could not detect any shaft play and the gear was in new condition - very perplexing. Replacing the syncro solved the problem. The squealing could also be an idler pulley. I was never able to get to the belt removal fast enough to see.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals