• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

can the engine run to cool?

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
not sure what termostat is in it, But i know its the original from factory. :shok:
i notice that when im on the highway that my temp gauge is running about 140 when im cruising at about 65.
When I slow down the gauge will come up to about 160.
When the weather is warm, It will go up to about 210 when im pulling hills.
so to my original question.
Can the engine run to cool?

dankhimself

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
At those coolant temperatures you are fine. When you are in brutally cold areas and the thermostat isnt working properly, there is a potential for harm. What you are experienceing is normal. 210 is pretty warm, thats only when driving up hills in hot weatrher right?

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
i do notice the higher temps more when the weather is in the 85+ range.

dankhimself

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, it seems like your fine. You are no where near warping territory with those temperatures, i know this guy who rode a GSXR 750 with a bad thermostat, clogged radiator, water pump, AND!!! FAN SWITCH. The radiator had the flow of i would say, a big gulp straw, the fan switch would only go on for like 10 seconds at around 230 DEGREES!!! and the rest of the cooling system was all packed with white chalky stuff.

He rode like that for 3 years. I never really got too close to the bike on our rides, but one day i said, "230 degrees! whay isnt the fan on!!" he said it goes way higher than that all the time, and the red light comes on sometimes.:icon_surprised::icon_surprised:.

The point to this story is that he rode like that for years, on a well made, but thin aluminum Japanese high output racing engine, with no problems!!

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even running 180 degs is getting almost too cold. Engines run better close to 190. Time to change that thermostat I would say. Wear goes up a lot at the colder temps per chart.
Dave

dankhimself

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
How cold is it where you live?

Edit: Mac has a point, I was thinking more along the lines of the hot side of the temp range. Too cold can be bad too.

Last edited:

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
ya, i think from what i have been reading, to cool is what can kill performance and longivity also.
The 210 dosn't bother me as much as the 140.
i am running a 2" single row radiator. seems to be cooling the fluid just fine.
i think yesterday, on my trip to the bay area, it was in the mid 60s. thats when i really was able to monitor the gauge.
Thanks for the response to a very basic question.
:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like a problem i had coming back from wisconsin last winter. T-Stat was stuck open. its a 5 dollar part. swap in a new factory temp one and try again.

fix_or_repair_daily

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Chevy,Satu
Engine Size
2.3, 5.7, 1.9
Transmission
Manual
If I were you, I would try to get one directly from Ford. Seems like no matter where I get thermostats from I have a hard time getting a good one. It took 3 tries to get a good one in my B2. Napa ones seem to be the worst. After a short time, the temp would go progressively higher each time before the tstat would open. Next one was a Stant, and it did the same thing after a while too. Finally, believe it or not, one from Autozone solved the problem. It seemed to be built a little beefier than the other two.

Josh

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
i just got a new one. Not yet installed. Got it from Napa, made in the US. If i have a problem I will go directly to Furd and get one.

dankhimself

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
:headbang:Furd purwur!!:headbang:

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
:headbang:Furd purwur!!:headbang:
Got the T-stat in. No leaks:D. didnt take but about 5 min to get up to about 195ish and the t-stat to open and temp go down to 183ish. drove it around the block a few times and when gauge got to 195ish t-stat would open and temp would drop to 183ish.
thanks guys for your input. :icon_cheers:

TX84BII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I inherited the 84 BII, 4x4, manual transmission from my dad when he passed away in June of 2010. He special ordered it brand new in 83 or 84 and the temp needle always ran right in the middle of the temp gauge till a few years ago. He had a local shop put a new factory thermostat (not sure what temp) in but drilled two or three small diameter holes in it and it seemed to help with cooling better in the 90-100 degree Texas heat as well as warm up a little quicker when we did have cold weather. Just my two cents!
Glad to be a new forum member!
I've been reading a lot but this is my first post. You guys have a lot of great information on this site!
Thanks

Peterbilt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Liter
Transmission
Manual
Always get the premuim t stats i work at a parts store and the eco ones are garbage had a guy come in ranting about em he said he put em in water on the stove to check em never tried it but never had a problem also may wanna flush your system when you change the t stat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals