• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

stupid snap ring

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yep it was a special move.. but I tried like hell to get the yoke in the center to come out and no dice... It was getting dark and I needed to use the truck to get to work the next day so I sawzd it :bawling: NOT what I wanted to do.. believe me.
Since that's the case, I forgive you :icon_thumby: Been there, had one rusted so bad it wouldn't budge and the stub shaft broke in the middle of a snow bank. Had to torch it off.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
today a bottle of map gas fell off the shelf in the shed and hit me in the head and almost knocked me out. It landed next to the half shaft I sawzed and I had a moment of total retrospective mental retardation. I should have used map....live and learn, now I jus need to get a new carrier shaft ;brownbag;:black_eye:

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
truck guy, sorry I jacked thread :threadjacked:I was gonna tell you that when I removed my spindles (the part the bearing ride on) I tried a slide hammer and broke it (the tool) I dint have it threaded on enough.

I wound up using a chisel and hammer, a rubber mallet and some 5 Hour Energy shots. (I know it's not the "proper" way but it worked) It just took a hella long time and was like a fricken work out. But it DID come off.

x2 on the wire wheel for easier installation later!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
^
you sigged yourself, lol.....it's a good one tho

truckguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
its no problem. i never ended up taking the spindles off because i could take the shafts out the other direction. is it bad i never removed them?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
today a bottle of map gas fell off the shelf in the shed and hit me in the head and almost knocked me out. It landed next to the half shaft I sawzed and I had a moment of total retrospective mental retardation. I should have used map....live and learn, now I jus need to get a new carrier shaft ;brownbag;:black_eye:
I kinda doubt even MAPP would have helped. I had a driveline slip yoke rust before.... it took a LOT of time and effort to get it pulled apart. I have used MAPP and propane before with limited success and it didn't work on the driveline. Oxy/MAPP would be better since you already have half of it :icon_thumby:

its no problem. i never ended up taking the spindles off because i could take the shafts out the other direction. is it bad i never removed them?
No, whatever works.

cauhcons

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
do you think we can replace the plastic snap ring for an metallic...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I own a bunch of snap ring pliers and have never used them for the axle shaft ring...

I use TWO blade screwdrivers.

one to hold one end of the ring still and the other I use to push the free end of the ring off the shaft....

Once that ring moves more than about 1/4" you can then get a screw driver between the shaft and the "Belly" of the ring.

That ring doesn't need to slide off the shaft as it's only purpose is to hold the splined washer in place and keep tension on the spindle back-side seal.

AD
That's how I've done them for years. If it's stubborn, I use two blade screwdrivers and give one a quick tap with a hammer. The more exciting part is getting them back on without having them get halfway on then launch themselves off into outer space.

As far as removing the spindles....

A couple years ago I bought a set from Summit Racing, it was like $50 and had a spindle removal tool along with 4 or 5 popular spindle nut sockets. The spindle removal tool is supposed to be used with a slide hammer, but I've never done that. I just thread it on as much as I can then give it a good whack with a 3 lb sledge. Tighten it back up and give it another whack in the other direction. Once I get some separation at the knuckle, I jam a 1/2x14 screwdriver in the separation to help force it apart as I beat on it. Usually doesn't take long to get 'em off that way. Then they get a wire wheel and a liberal slathering with anti-seize before being put back on.

For removing a stubborn passenger side shaft on the front axle, I've used a selection of prying implements at the U-joint for the wheel. Usually that's been enough to get it to slide apart (after removing the clamp) at the slip joint. I give it a good slathering with wheel bearing grease before reassembly too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals