• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 on the Rubicon Trail!

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual

Found this while searching information about The Rubicon Trail. I have been wanting to build a good rock/trail rig and obviously the jeep was what I was going to use as a platform to start with and then I found this. I was wanting to find an 80's model CJ and build it from the ground up. I just like the Jeeps because they are such a basic vehicle only having the necessities (basic models anyways). I really don't have the know-how to build it myself but I have enough friends and resources to help me get along. I have made it a mission of mine to go to Moab and The Rubicon Trail and hopefully next summer once my car and my motorcycle is paid off (finally) I will have the extra funds to begin building a rig. Then I figured it'll take me a year or so to find the parts and get the rig built then I will plan my trips.

Any members here been to Moab or The Rubicon Trail? Both are a long ways from South Carolina but I have made the journey to Sturgis, SD so I know what long days in a cramped truck getting 6-8 mpg while towing a trailer with 6 bikes is like :icon_twisted:.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Yeah not really wanting a Jeep because they are better my interest is the amount of aftermarket accessories they have available. Everything other than the basic parts for the B2's have to be custom built by either yourself or pay bookoos to a fab shop. I will hang on to my B2 for the small time offroading I do now but would like to have a more extreme rig. Plus I would hate to have my B2 sitting while I am working on it and not be able to drive it.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i have seen stock looking jeeps, tototas and rbv as far as buck.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Jeeps are great vehicles, I owned one. However the problem with getting into a jeep is the cost, they are overpriced for no more than what they really are and I love jeeps, but after owning one, I quickly realized how over-rated they really are, the only good thing in a jeep really is the aftermarket offroad parts, and the jeep cherokee's that have the Selec-Trac 4WD system, other than that the bronco/bronco 2 will do the same damn thing as a jeep that costs you 2x or more money.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I wanna go to Moab one day... with my B2, Idk yet... lol.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
The B2 will do just fine as long as you be careful and watch what you are trying to drive over. Unless you swap out the axles which I've heard aren't exactly the best for severe offroading you better carry lots of extra axle parts.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It's all in how you build it. When it all come down to it, your just dealing with a body and a frame, everything else is yo to your fabrication ability or pocket depth.

We were talking the other day about turning a Crown Vic Interceptor into a trail rig. Our only concern is the wide frame rails.

All in all, if it has to frame rails, and you like the way it looks, build it. Pick your drivetrain and suspension, and get to building.

Unless your one of those who likes to just buy a suspension and bolt it on... Yeah... A suspension meant to clear big tires and mount were the factory parts did... I prefer a suspension that was purpose built and designed to work how I want it to.

Aftermarket support is good for axles, not the entire vehicle. F****n Jeepers...

.....ending Jeeper/ "built not bought" rant before I start rambling.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Couldn't you just set the crown vic body on an F-150 frame, aren't they about the same? Either way a full size truck or car on the trail is a pain sometimes just do to the limited space LOL.

I agree its all in how you build it, your pocket book and imagination is the limit to having an awesome trail rig, and I've seen quite a few mild builds that turn out pretty good that cost the builder a few thousand dollars as he had all the tools and his own shop, but when you have to take a vehicle to a specialty shop to have the work done it gets pretty expensive very fast.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have been doing a little research and I have found a few jeeps in my local area running about $500. Thats with a non running engine but I would yank the drivetrain anyways. I have stopped in at the local jeepers club and they set me up with a fab guy that has built custom brackets to fit almost any axle you want or engine you want to the frame. I have been trying to read up on different t-cases. The difference between single and dual t-case (besides the obvious) etc. After searching through different vehicles it just seems so far the jeep would be the easiest to take all the way down and rebuild. The ones I have been looking at aren't equipped with a/c and heat, there is only two gauges the speedo and fuel gauge, no doors, no roof, no fenders. It is just really simple and that's what I need. The wiring would be simpler and I need something like that for my first build. Now I would love to get the B2 into rock crawling shape but with my limited know-how that is just not a job I am ready for. Going along with the previous post jeeps are OUTRAGEOUS to buy when you are buying something newer. I have been watching the WAYALIFE videos on youtube with the jeepers that wheel the newer 4 door models. I looked them up and used with almost 100,000 miles on it they are still wanting $20,000+. Way outta my price range.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
UrbanRedneckKid summed it up pretty well...

If you want to pay $$$ for pre-made parts and have a shop bolt them on for you, = Buy a J**p

If you want to build your rig how YOU want it, = buy/build your BII (or like said, anything with a frame can work).

The common-swap D35 & 8.8" axles for your BII have just as much aftermarket support for gearing & lockers as anything under a Jeep (infact you can't get 5.13s for the D30 in a pre-JK Jeep). Or if you prefer a D44 & 9" or 1-tons, options are abound there too. No shortage of BII drivetrain upgrades & swaps (dual cases too). But yea you would need a welder and other tools on hand to make some things happen like rock armor, and some types of suspension work.
For many of us, this stuff is actually fun to do. The result is engagement in a hobby you enjoy while saving thousands upon thousands of dollars at the same time (plus you'll have a vehicle that suits YOU rather than one that suits the masses).
A $500 Jeep with a decrepit drivetrain and missing half it's body parts doesn't seem to me like it would save much time or cost, but maybe that's just part of that dumb Jeep thing I have no desire to understand lol.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well I thought I saw you are running dual t-cases 4x4junkie. Just curious what is the advantage to dual t-cases? Is the front end different? Does it require two differentials? Just curious of the advantage to the dual t-case.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If I can find another ranger or b2 cheap I am likely to use it as my foundation. I am likely to build a custom frame just so I am not using a 20+ year old frame and then I can modify it as needed. My thing is finding the cheapest platform to start with. You guys are correct if I knew how to do the fab work anything would be possible. You guys might have convince me in this short amount of time to think about using a B2 as my rig. Is the 2wd and 4wd the same basic frame? I want to have a different frame to use the dimensions and build a new frame off of. I like that Jeeps have the bolt on parts you can buy now I wouldn't necessary take my Jeep to someone and have them build my rig for me. I just gotta find something I can get cheap to start with. The B2 would be a little more work fab wise but I love my b2 and besides the parts variety is the same body size and shape as the Jeep. Just depends what I am able to find next summer when it comes time to start building it. It might be a Jeep it might not guess we'll see.

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have so many questions with regards to the B2/Ranger modifications like coil overs. Anyone running them? I found on my explorer site where a write up was posted on modifying coil overs for the explorer but havent found anything for the B2. Man I am super excited right now about the build but hate that I have to wait so long before I am able to start. One day tho one day :icon_hornsup:

jkufen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986, 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ok I figured out the dual t-case idea by reading up on your car domain page 4x4junkie. Does it affect any other operation as far as DD or 4 high? I was thinking the dual t-case was side by side instead of mated together lol just the beginner in me I guess. Wasn't sure how the front end would look with two front drive shafts lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals