• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swapping a 99" ranger 8.8" with a 00" explorer 8.8"

Mrnicks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99" Ranger 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have an opportunity to obtain a explorer axle. My current axle on the ranger needs some serious love, seals, gears, and bearings. Would it be worth to get this axle and do the rebuild on it and rather than my current ranger axle. I do know that if i do the swap I'll gain rear disc brakes and larger axles. The few questions I have is, how close to a direct bolt on is this and what mods needs to be done to the brake system to use these disc brakes? What do you guys think?

99" ford ranger (off-road) w/4.0L ,auto tranny
4X4 with 3"body and 2.5 add a leafs with torsion crank
33X12.5 bfg's and 33X10.5 TSL's
and a whole bunch of other goodies like on board air and such.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/448072

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You will have to cut off the shock perches and weld new ones onto the Exp axle to fit a Ranger. I'm not sure how much effect it will have on the brakes. The 99 brake bias may be accomplished by the 4WABS Controller. You will also have to make the parking brake work, which involves using the cable bracket from the Explorer.

In short, all of this is doable, and has been done by quite a few people. Search and see if this is a job you want to tackle.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Explorer8_8.html
http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/f6/f43/11725-how-explorer-axle-swap.html

Mrnicks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
99" Ranger 4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm, from the one post on the other ranger website it looks pretty easy. I don't think it's anything I can't handle, just looking for details. What do you guys think is a good price for a funtioning 00" 8.8" axle from a explorer? Would you say it's worth $100?

2001FORDRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
6cy
Transmission
Manual
its pretty straight forward. you would need the rear end and the master cylinder since the ranger cylinder is not built to take on the disk brake conversion and a few other small things. im doing the same thing and will post pics and a write-up when complete.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals