• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wheel bearings

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone,

I will change the wheel bearings on my front and rear EXPLORER 1994.
I found a thread with pictures to the front and the tools necessary.

:icon_confused: By cons I can find nothing for the rear? or do not know where to look

Could you give me assistance to get to find something and tell me the tools I need.

:icon_confused: Do I need a special extractor. to remove my wheel bearings rear.
If need you could post a photo to see if I can find in the garage

Thank you very much for your help I'm really very bored

:icon_cheers::icon_cheers::icon_cheers:

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
I opened up the differential cover and drained all the old fluid. Then, I removed the bolt for the spider shaft - this bolt is usually broken so be prepared to have to extract it. I already had removed my rear brakes as I was replacing drums and shoes, too. I then pushed in on both axle shafts, removed the c-clips (these are inside the differential housing on the very end of the axles), and pulled the axles out. At this point, you'll need to pull the seals, then use a slide hammer to remove the bearings. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Do NOT turn the driveshaft while the spider shaft is out - if your spider gears get out of alignment it can take you some swearing to get them back in place. This is also a good time to toss in a locker if you want one.

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I opened up the differential cover and drained all the old fluid. Then, I removed the bolt for the spider shaft - this bolt is usually broken so be prepared to have to extract it. I already had removed my rear brakes as I was replacing drums and shoes, too. I then pushed in on both axle shafts, removed the c-clips (these are inside the differential housing on the very end of the axles), and pulled the axles out. At this point, you'll need to pull the seals, then use a slide hammer to remove the bearings. Assembly is the reverse of disassembly.

Do NOT turn the driveshaft while the spider shaft is out - if your spider gears get out of alignment it can take you some swearing to get them back in place. This is also a good time to toss in a locker if you want one.
:shok: open the differential cover and drained all the old fluid to replace the wheel bearings rear, it is an obligation to do this.

this looks very difficult.
HO HO HO :sad::sad:
I would need a thread with pictures
:bawling:

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's the only way to replace rear axle bearings as the axle passes through them. And they can be a bear to get out. On mine the left came out fairly easy but the right one I had to grind, CAREFULLY, the bearing race to just before the axle tube metal in a spot to pop the bearing loose and remove it. If you can, checkout the Autozone website as they have drawings and instructions for a lot of repairs and might have this as well. Good luck.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
It sounds bad, but it really isn't. The reason for opening the diff is the c-clips are in there. To open the diff is just some bolts. You're not disturbing the gear mesh, so don't be scared to crack it open. Use synthetic fluid to fill it!

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's the only way to replace rear axle bearings as the axle passes through them. And they can be a bear to get out. On mine the left came out fairly easy but the right one I had to grind, CAREFULLY, the bearing race to just before the axle tube metal in a spot to pop the bearing loose and remove it. If you can, checkout the Autozone website as they have drawings and instructions for a lot of repairs and might have this as well. Good luck.
It sounds bad, but it really isn't. The reason for opening the diff is the c-clips are in there. To open the diff is just some bolts. You're not disturbing the gear mesh, so don't be scared to crack it open. Use synthetic fluid to fill it!
In searching I found this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214805
I must follow it :icon_confused:

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:dunno: i'm really in trouble, I do not feel capable of doing rear bearings, sh"t:bawling:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is how I feel before EVERY new to me job. Sometimes the hardest thing about a job is starting it. I think once you get into it you will not have any major problems, and if you do, we'll be here to help.
:icon_cheers:

Richard

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_surprised:What worries me the most is the movement of trees back if I'm wrong

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Say what?

Richard
I say that I am afraid to make that mistake:sad:

it says in the thread

"Here's a Slightly fun part; You Need to remove this bolt (9mm head, atleast in my case), Then Slide The Pin out so That You Can access the c-clips. Do not Turn the axles after Removing this, or you could " Spend a lot of time Trying to get it back in! If you spin the axles, It Will get the spider gears out of place, and Could Be a Real Pain to re-align ":icon_surprised:

And I do not understand the tools I need to remove the bearing:dunno:

I ask a lot I'm sure, but someone could put an arrow on the c-clip

I do not want to bore anybody with all these questions, but here in FRANCE a repair cost for me $ 1250 !!!!!!!!!!!!
they fell on the head these people what are thugs

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Why do you figure that you need to replace the rear axle shaft bearings?

FRENCHMan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Why do you figure that you need to replace the rear axle shaft bearings?
is when the truck passed the inspection here in France:icon_confused:
Now I'd like to know a way to find sil there really needs to replace :dunno:

Thank you very much

Edit
can you give me the torque for tightening the bearings rear

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
There is no torque spec for the rear axle shaft bearings. They get pressed into the axle housing and then axle shaft slides into the housing and rides on the bearings.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals