• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mystery Bracket above P/S???

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've been doing a lot of image searches for engine-bay pics for the '04-'05 model 2.3 Rangers, and I've noticed that mine has a bracket attached that none of the others do.

At first I thought that it was for a smog-pump that was deep-sixed by a previous owner, but I haven't seen a smog pump on any of the 2.3's during my image searches, so that leads me to my real question: What in the heck is that?!

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, I looked up the instructions for removing the pump and it just says "bracket".

It wouldn't be and AIR pump, those have been electric for 15 years now, not belt driven.

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It looks like the earlier Duratec had an intake muffler. I wonder if this is just left-over bracketry the engineers didn't get around to getting rid of until '05.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, that's what it looks like. I pulled up the manuals for 02 and 04 and went to the intake tube removal, the drawing show and box and a nut or bolt or something over near the PS reservoir in 02 that is gone in 04. Right about where that bracket is.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It looks like the earlier Duratec had an intake muffler. I wonder if this is just left-over bracketry the engineers didn't get around to getting rid of until '05.
That's exactly what it is. My 01 had the intake air silencer thing. I almost pulled that bracket off this past weekend, but I didn't have the shorter bolts that would be needed once the bracket has been removed. The pics You've posted of the MX5 look like they have the proper length bolts to allow that bracket to be discarded.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals