• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

(slightly) lower rear leafs

swampyankee

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235-17
I have a '98 Ranger x-cab with a broken rear leaf spring. Still driveable as long as I don't put much load on it. But since I have to replace the springs anyway, I was thinking of dropping the height just an inch or so to make to truck easier to get bikes and stuff in and out of. I don't do any 4 wheeling so the height won't matter. I only use the 4wd for snow and maybe stump pulling LOL.
It looks like I have room on the screws to dial back the torsion bars in the front and drop the height like I did on my old truck. I will do that first just to get a proportion on how far to drop the rear.
I can go to a spring shop and have the broken leaf replaced, and they can re-arc the springs to whatever I want.

But before I do, is there a set of springs I could use that would lower the height by an inch or so? Maybe Explorer, 2wd or other spring?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Look for the rear spacer (lift) blocks from a '08-'11 Ranger 4x4, I understand they are an inch shorter than the ones that came on your '98, and should lowers yours by that amount. You'll likely need the U-bolts to go with them also.

Alternatively, you can remove your blocks entirely, then use extended shackles to regain an inch or so.

Jacks2K4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
swampyankee, I have 2011 Ranger (4x4) and would love to swap your torsion keys and lift blocks with mine. I want to do the opposite. I want to lift mine to the pre-2008 height.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals