• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My MPG has Increased

John H

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 01 auto 4x4 4.0 with 4.10LS and for 4 years or so I've gotten 18-18.5 MPG on the highway and 14 or so in town. I started noticing my mileage go up since last month even city mileage was impressive. The only thing I've done Is stop using seafoam and switch to Gumout multi system tune up. I've used seafoam over 5 years and I've never seen any change to my mileage. I started using Gumout 2-3 months ago so far I think I've used 3-4 cans of the stuff with the last can on a half tank of gas. i used to get 40-45 miles to a 1\4 tank of gas,on this last tank I got 56 miles on a quarter tank. I put 236 miles on this last tank and the gas gauge was still above red. Generally on a full tank I'd usually get 180 to 200 miles and it was on red. I do not work for nor am I affiliated with Gumout, I'm just letting people know my experience with the product and the fact that I see results in fuel mileage vs. fuel mileage results with Seafoam. I have the factory fan with a severe duty fan clutch,stock size 245/75/16 tires,and i haven't cleaned my MAF in over 6 months..yes when using the seafoam I'd clean the MAF at least every 3-6 months in hopes of seeing MPG gains but I didn't. I still have a rough idle that i can not figure out,and no vacuum leaks can be found..I've had the common vacuum leaks in the past

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good deal on the MPG increase :)

Thanks for the anecdote on the reason.

I run fuel injection cleaner once a year in my fuel injected engines, notice a smoother idle after that tank is gone but never noticed much of an increase in MPG.
I have used Gumout, Seafoam and STP, probably a few others as well, lol.

If you are using a cleaner more often in the 4.0l SOHC you could have been causing some pinging/knocking, you won't hear it, this engine has 9.7:1 compression, so to get it to run on 87 octane(regular gas) they had to add a Knock sensor, when a knock is detected computer retards timing, which lowers MPG because it lowers power.
Not sure why Seafoam would cause pinging though, and Gumout would not

Cessus

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Wish I got that milage on my 4.0 ohv. I'm getting 12.5 mpg atm. Driving like a grandpa too.

sgt_apple

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
wow that seems like low mpg to me... and the sea foam, what is the point of adding it so frequently? and where were you adding it? i only ask because ive taken a different approach in the past and mileage has been much better than what youve stated with an OHV 4.0

as far as trouble shooting your rough idle is concerned if youve checked and cant find any vacuum leaks and all plugs and coils are functioning properly i would check on the vehicle speed sensor or possibly either the cam position sensor or the crank sensor next

gl

Mickey Bitsko

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
live everyday like your gonna die tomorrow
Just heard a horror story about seafoam oil additive in a chevy colorado,
It clogged the oil pickup in the pan and fried the relatively new engine, never used it and don't think I will..

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals