• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Losses Power after warm up

danjil0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok, This is a rebuilt 2.3l / 5speed. When I start it, it will run and pull fine. After you drive it awhile and shut it down for a few minutes (15-20), like going into the store, you fire it up again and it acts like it just won't take the gas. It seems like when you get to a little higher rpm, it runs better, but not right. No pick up to it. If you let it sit till it cools down, it will fire up and run and pull fine again. It's got me baffled. It does have the code for the purge circuit, but I was told that shouldn't cause my problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like I may be leaking injectors, or a bad fuel pressure regulator. Check fuel pressure while running, and bleed down rate after you key off. If its different cold vs warm, you likely have an issue somewhere in that area.

The other option is fuel pump, but if its the fuel pump, it will progressively run worse until it wont move itself, I've had this happen, but it wont be good till you shut the key off then bad, it will be good at startup and the longer it runs the worse it gets.

danjil0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Mikel89us. I replaced the fuel pump when i reinstalled the engine. Something was in the old gas that caused the rubber on the pickup tube to disintegrate. I need to get the right connector for the fuel port. I'll try checking that tomorrow and post what i find.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I would at least take a look at the MAF. If encrusted, it won't tell the computer how much air is coming into the intake. When cold, the computer will add extra fuel and taper it back to normal as the engine warms. If the MAF were lyin' the computer wouldn't know.
tom

Rykilla303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Vacuum leak maybe? Some lines are only opened once warm. I know on mine the "wire noodles" were hiding leaks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals