• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

83 manual to power steering ?

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
im looking at buy a 83 ranger, it will get a 2.3 efi turbo swap.
i want power steering also, so what are my options and what will bolt up or work with slight modding.

also do you guys have a list of different options some where and what years came with what pumps, boxes,racks ect, any oem/stock upgrades?

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
I don't know about other pumps and gears that will work, but a power steering pump and gearbox that you pull off of another ranger will be a drop in and bolt up affair.

One from a yard that hasn't been damaged and isn't leaking fluid profusely will be almost lickety split to bolt into your ranger.

Some people have done swaps to other steering gears, but I know nothing about them.

I'm glad to see you asking around and all that.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
are all ranger steering boxes the same ie 83-92 all models,ect,?

are all ranger pumps the same all models?
are the pump brackets the same thru the years that have the 2.3?

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
All Ranger Power Steering boxes 1983-97, Bronco2 from '83-90 and Explorer from 1991-94 are exactly the same.

BTW, 2wd Pitman arms (the arm on the steering box) are not the same as 4x4 pitman arms
and the one on the manual steering box is a unique spline that will not fit anything else

If you are doing a turbo engine swap use the "front dress" off of the ranger engine

The "Front dress" of an engine is the pullies (ALL of the pullies), accessories
and associated brackets.

AD

Last edited:

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
All Ranger Power Steering boxes 1983-97, Bronco2 from '83-90 and Explorer from 1991-94 are exactly the same.

BTW, 2wd Pitman arms (the arm on the steering box) are not the same as 4x4 pitman arms
and the one on the manual steering box is a unique spline that will not fit anything else

If you are doing a turbo engine swap use the "front dress" off of the ranger engine

The "Front dress" of an engine is the pullies (ALL of the pullies), accessories
and associated brackets.

AD
o.k. thanks, will a power box fit my 83 manual steering coloum, or do i need a coloum out of a truck that had p/s from the factory

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
o.k. thanks, will a power box fit my 83 manual steering coloum, or do i need a coloum out of a truck that had p/s from the factory
The only thing that matters would be the intermediate shaft that mounts in between the steering box and the part of the steering column that sticks through the firewall. They're the collapsible piece that has a through-bolt on one end and a pinch bolt with splines on the other end.

Allan can correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be no differences in the intermediate shaft design between the '83-97 years. I'm using a shaft out of my old '85 in my '94 right now. The '85 was power steering, and I swapped my '94 to be manual.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Well I can confirm, I swapped a 90 power steering box and intermediate shaft into my 83 that had manual steering, along with still keeping my stock 83 column.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool...I just went the other way...took a 96 steering column and put in my 88 manual steering box and pieced it all together on a 96 frame...used the 88 cab.

The only problem I found was the 96 column sat a bit higher than the 88 would have so I had to lift the body by 1" to get it to pass through the center without mangling the firewall on the 88.

I just prefer the feel of the manual steering over the power steering...although it takes a bit more precise calculations on approach to say parking because you really don't want to have to go back and forth too much...but I'm already used to that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals