• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lifter Tic during cold start

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Lately I've been getting loud lifter tic during really cold starts. Once the motor has warmed up after a couple minutes it goes away. Doesn't happen all the time though (not tonight, anyway).

I'm currently running Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w-30 oil. I have run 5w-20 and 0W-20 Pennzoil Platinum in the past with no issues. Should I switch back?

Likewise, is this likely a gummed up lifter (which could be fixed with seafoam before my next oil change?) or do I need to look into pulling the intake and replacing the lifters?

The engine has 140K on it; I've only had it the last 30K or so and I suspect the last owners didn't change the oil as much as they should have (based on what I saw when I had covers off it last fall).

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Why did you switch to high mileage oil? Were you burning some? Pennzoil claims it will not burn as much.

The synthetic will run the innards cleaner, and flow better, so I doubt sludge. What are your start-up temps?

I run 0w-30 M1. If going back to thinner grade solves then I'd do that.

Have you ever done a used oil analysis (UOA) to see how the oil is performing?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good oil filters have Backflow preventer, it is just a flap that prevents oil in the main passages from draining back into the filter when engine is off, this helps to get oil pressure back up faster when starting.

Gravity still drains oil from bearings and lifters.

Lifters have a spring inside to hold them expanded, until oil pressure takes over, you may have a lifter with a broken spring, so you get the valve train noise until oil pressure takes over.

I have a high mile 4.0l, 300k +

I use the Clear Flooded Engine software to crank the engine before starting each morning, that gets oil pumped back into bearings and lifters prior to starting engine.

Clear Flooded Engine
Turn key ON
Press gas pedal to the floor and hold it down all the way
Crank engine, it will not start
Release gas pedal, it will now start

When computer sees "WOT"(wide open throttle) from TPS(throttle position sensor) and engine is at 0 RPMs, it starts the Clear Flooded Engine routine
Spark is ON, fuel injectors are OFF
So No Start
As soon as you release gas pedal injectors will start, even while cranking

The routine can also help diagnose engine problems
Also save you a couple of dollars buying a used car :)
"Hey this thing doesn't start first time?", lol.
Pretty much all fuel injection computers have this routine, not a Ford thing

FYI, if engine does start with gas pedal to the floor then you have a stretched throttle cable so no longer get WOT
Google: Ranger throttle cable mod

Or go here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer06/throttlecablemod.htm

So you can get Full throttle back, really helps performance.

Last edited:

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Why did you switch to high mileage oil? Were you burning some? Pennzoil claims it will not burn as much.

The synthetic will run the innards cleaner, and flow better, so I doubt sludge. What are your start-up temps?

I run 0w-30 M1. If going back to thinner grade solves then I'd do that.

Have you ever done a used oil analysis (UOA) to see how the oil is performing?
Because my motor has a few miles on it (160Kish?) and I figured it was the right thing to do.

Lately the temps have been 40F or below.

I've always wanted to do a used oil analysis but never got around to it.

Good oil filters have Backflow preventer, it is just a flap that prevents oil in the main passages from draining back into the filter when engine is off, this helps to get oil pressure back up faster when starting.
I'm using motorcraft filters.

Gravity still drains oil from bearings and lifters.

Lifters have a spring inside to hold them expanded, until oil pressure takes over, you may have a lifter with a broken spring, so you get the valve train noise until oil pressure takes over.
Didn't know this; that may explain something. Then again it's not consistent. I'd think that such would have the opposite effect, as when cold my pressures are higher, not lower. Hence why I'm thinking it's either a flow issue or a stuck issue.

I use the Clear Flooded Engine software to crank the engine before starting each morning, that gets oil pumped back into bearings and lifters prior to starting engine.

Clear Flooded Engine
Turn key ON
Press gas pedal to the floor and hold it down all the way
Crank engine, it will not start
Release gas pedal, it will now start

When computer sees "WOT"(wide open throttle) from TPS(throttle position sensor) and engine is at 0 RPMs, it starts the Clear Flooded Engine routine
Spark is ON, fuel injectors are OFF
So No Start
As soon as you release gas pedal injectors will start, even while cranking

The routine can also help diagnose engine problems
Also save you a couple of dollars buying a used car :)
"Hey this thing doesn't start first time?", lol.
Pretty much all fuel injection computers have this routine, not a Ford thing

FYI, if engine does start with gas pedal to the floor then you have a stretched throttle cable so no longer get WOT
Google: Ranger throttle cable mod

Or go here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer06/throttlecablemod.htm

So you can get Full throttle back, really helps performance.
Already did the throttle mod, I've never relied on clear flood mode to do that though. The only time I do such is right after an oil change (adding fresh oil), which I do by pulling the fuel pump relay and cranking until I see oil pressure.

That said, if it were a startup starvation issue wouldn't it clear in 10-30 seconds, not 1-4 minutes?

Just providing feedback here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals