• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

02 Ford Ranger 3.0 auto 2wd sputters and stall and now won't start

Redline4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
02 Ranger 3.0 sputters and stall and now won't start

I have a 2002 Ford ranger 3.0 auto that had a starting problem where it would sputter and stall randomly with cold starts. Sometimes just once and recently had been a pain in the a** to start taking 5 mins or more. And finally now it won't start. I replace the fuel filter recently when it was intermittent to try to stop it. It has new plugs and wires and I swap a coil from a running truck on to see if t was the coil. Iv tried 3 fuel pump relays and all seem to work properly. The truck has fuel
Pressure at the shlader valve on the fuel rail but I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, I intend on getting one to test it soon but it seems if it was getting fuel it would at least sputter now it does nothing but cranks. No check engine lights at all. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do a 50/50 test

Spray gasoline or Quick Start(ether) into the intake and then try to start engine

If engine starts up and dies then fuel is the problem

If engine doesn't start then spark is the problem

50/50

From description of symptoms it is probably fuel pump
You should hear the fuel pump start and run for 2 seconds each time key is turned from off to on, it is not quiet
Repeat key off and on as much as you want it won't hurt anything, and listen for the pump each time.

Fuel pump is just an electric motor, it can start to spin slower, so less pressure, and start and stop randomly

Redline4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Do a 50/50 test

Spray gasoline or Quick Start(ether) into the intake and then try to start engine

If engine starts up and dies then fuel is the problem

If engine doesn't start then spark is the problem

50/50

From description of symptoms it is probably fuel pump
You should hear the fuel pump start and run for 2 seconds each time key is turned from off to on, it is not quiet
Repeat key off and on as much as you want it won't hurt anything, and listen for the pump each time.

Fuel pump is just an electric motor, it can start to spin slower, so less pressure, and start and stop randomly
I hear the fuel pump make noise almost everytime I turn the key. I got a fuel pressure tester gauge so I'm guna try the fuel or starter fluid in the intake and check the fuel pressure. Il get back to you thanks for the advice

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The "almost" is not good

2002 fuel pressure should be 65psi with engine running, 60-70psi range

And drop no lower than 50psi with engine/key off for 10minutes

Engine running fuel pressure should be steady, no changing up and down

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals