• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sound Dampening Mats, Whats good?

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
Alright well I decided I want to quite the interior of my truck a bit and make it a nice place to listen to music on the highway cause my tires for the summer and winter plus the exhaust drone can make trips to school or to the city very tiresome.

For those of you that have installed mat did you have a noticable difference in road noise levels? And how much did you put in? I am thinking one layer over as much of the interior as I can (floor, doors, roof, back and front). And i'm thinking of going with some B stock SecondSkin cause its a bit cheaper and sounds like a good brand from what I hear.

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
t makes a huge difference in reduction of road noise, and moderate improvements in audio quality if its done right. I had an old Chevy s10 that the previous owner covered the majority of the interior in a tar like substance and it reduced the road noise but added about 200 to 300 pounds to the truck. but i dynamatted the interior of a mustang that i used to have with loud pipes and it made a very noticeable difference. the only reason i used dynamat is because i got it from an auto-sound company out here that went under so i got it unbelievably cheep. all of the materials in soundproofing are basically the same so you should be good with what you get.
The few tips i can offer are:

The standard take your time! The quality of the finished product depends on the time you put into it and follow the materials directions!

Take the time when you have your interior is completely out to both deep clean the carpet and seats, vacuum out all the crevices in the floor, and clean up all your audio wires and rout them the right way if they arnt already.

Run your wires over the deadner not under.

In your ranger cut out the holes for the body mount bolts.

Use the deadner to seal your door and mount your speakers on top of the speaker to sandwich the material between the door.

Also cut out the spots for the door hangers and your window crank if you have them.

if you have any questions pm me and ill help you out as best as i can

Original_Ranger84

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1999
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, 3.0L
Transmission
Manual
t makes a huge difference in reduction of road noise, and moderate improvements in audio quality if its done right. I had an old Chevy s10 that the previous owner covered the majority of the interior in a tar like substance and it reduced the road noise but added about 200 to 300 pounds to the truck. but i dynamatted the interior of a mustang that i used to have with loud pipes and it made a very noticeable difference. the only reason i used dynamat is because i got it from an auto-sound company out here that went under so i got it unbelievably cheep. all of the materials in soundproofing are basically the same so you should be good with what you get.
The few tips i can offer are:

The standard take your time! The quality of the finished product depends on the time you put into it and follow the materials directions!

Take the time when you have your interior is completely out to both deep clean the carpet and seats, vacuum out all the crevices in the floor, and clean up all your audio wires and rout them the right way if they arnt already.

Run your wires over the deadner not under.

In your ranger cut out the holes for the body mount bolts.

Use the deadner to seal your door and mount your speakers on top of the speaker to sandwich the material between the door.

Also cut out the spots for the door hangers and your window crank if you have them.

if you have any questions pm me and ill help you out as best as i can
Awesome thats exactly what I was hoping to hear, I am definately looking forward to a much quieter ride. And I'll probably be adding some CCF acoustic foam or thermal insulator later on just dont wanna drop a ton in all at once.

Thansk for the tips, I'm a very meticulous person when it comes to installing things, do it right the first time and do it well and it will hold up better and perform better I say.

I;ve already pulled the seats and carpet and all that stuff earlier this spring to do just that but I'm really OCD about having a clean interior.

Other then that I had figured on doing all that. Thanks yet again though! :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals