• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

92 ex 4.0 to 87 BII 2.9 swap

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have my 92 Explorer (4.0) engine pulled, and am about to do a rebuild, while it is out, just so I know it is solid... I plan to swap it into my 87BII (2.9). I plan to keep my BII dash, since the EXP dash is in poor shape. I have all the components of both vehicles.
I have read as much on here as I can find about this swap, but the wiring info doesn't quite match this application.

Has anyone done this exact swap, that can provide exact wiring splice info? Hate to say this, but I kinda need "stupid proof" info. It is my DD, and I plan to ride my motorcycle to work while this thing is down. Hopefully not to long.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ah, common! I know Somebody out there has done this and can fill me in! ;)

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are several write ups on here. If you want to keep your dash, I would PM 4.0B2. He could help you with the wiring on that.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I'll look him up.

lchappyjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im about ready to start the wiring myself, same exact years of swap. im using motor, transmission and transfer case. Please share with me and I will do the same. Good Luck

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ichappyjr, You might have to lead the way. I'm being redirected to other priorities again.... I have to put this on temporary hold. Just for a week or two, I hope.
I will be happy to share what I do know. I have already swapped the M50D tranny,and 8.8 rear end.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
hey, i'm here.... lol

what i did was, laid out both wiring harnesses... used an ohms meter to find out what plug for the dash gauges go where, connect the wires together. there is a little more wiring by keeping the b2 dash... but its not bad. but you're gonna have to trace each wire down and solder them together. it sounds a lot worse than it really is... i have faith in ya, if i could figure it out at the age of like 15 i think you can do it now.

if i knew what i know now...i would have kept up w/ all the wiring and made a wiring diagram of it all... but i was 15-16 at the time. so i didn't know any better. i didn't even know the 4.0 swap for a b2 was a common swap, i thought i was doing something pioneerish! hahahahaha..

but yes, sadly i don't have the wiring wrote down.... sorry guys. i wanna find another 88 and do it again...and document it better this time! lol. i need a dedicated trail rig anyways.

Protowrxs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 - 4.0 Waiting
Transmission
Manual
I'm doing something similar with a '93 Explorer engine, '92 Explorer harness and an '89 Ranger. In my opinion (and some others it seems) it is much easier to ONLY use the computer harness and keep the existing headlight harness. The computer harness on my 92 Exp under hood harness split off easily if you unwrap it and pull the relays off the power box. Then you just have to match up trans harness if you're not using the explorer version and get the power, sending units, tach, etc wiring matched to the main harness.

However, I say first thing is to get the EVTM for both vehicles, make copies of the engine control pages for both and look at them.

Unfortunately Ford doesn't provide any pages with the inline connector pinning so you have to trace that out in the drawings, but you can find the information in the EVTM and figure out the connectors. For mine it is simply re-pinning a couple connectors and reconfiguring the main connectors near the master cylinder. The engines have the same basic sensors and controls so looking at the wiring and matching color codes allows you to figure out the cross over wiring.

I imagine '87 is different than '89 but the core computer control function is still the same up until ODB-I started in the mid '90's.

Stephen

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i did not use the underhood fuse box (w/ the big fuses, that comes on the explorer harness) and i did not use the explorer headlight harnesses. i do remember that now that the previous post was made..

Last edited:

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0BII, how about you pull yours all apart and photograph everything, as if you were doing it for the first time. Be sure to have little arrows in the pics showing what you connected where, ect. along with a nice, detailed write-up. Can't be too hard right? you've already done it, so it should be a snap. Anyway, I will personally thank you, if you do. :)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
4.0BII, how about you pull yours all apart and photograph everything, as if you were doing it for the first time. Be sure to have little arrows in the pics showing what you connected where, ect. along with a nice, detailed write-up. Can't be too hard right? you've already done it, so it should be a snap. Anyway, I will personally thank you, if you do. :)
:icon_surprised:WHAT???? :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
this is my DD, i don't have anything else to drive... :D:icon_rofl:

you're kidding....right? :icon_confused::icon_bounceblue::icon_bounceblue:

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That was a joke.
Sorry, next time I'll open a new can of smart ass, when it's fresh, it's more obviuose!
:)
although...... ;)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
That was a joke.
Sorry, next time I'll open a new can of smart ass, when it's fresh, it's more obviuose!
:)
although...... ;)
i knew it was a joke. :thefinger:
i'm not tearing into my b2 when it runs!!! :icon_hornsup:

runs dang good to, you should feel that 4.0 power in a b2.. it's lifechanging!

Last edited:

lchappyjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It sure would be nice to have step by step instructions, I havnt had time to tackle the wiring yet, that four letter word 'WORK' keeps getting in the way... When I do I will try my best to share with you.

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals