• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake master or booster

barranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
94 3.0 5spd Splash. I have replaced the leaking brake lines but there is air sound when the pedal is depressed. I have been hearing this sound for years and the brakes have always been week. But now that I own the truck I want it fixed. Would just replacing the master hopefully fix this problem.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you can hear vacuum... it's the booster. Could have a bad master cylinder too, a bad booster and good master cylinder will feel like you have a really stiff pedal and no power brakes. Best bet is to replace both in this case, IMO

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
94 3.0 5spd Splash. I have replaced the leaking brake lines but there is air sound when the pedal is depressed. I have been hearing this sound for years and the brakes have always been week. But now that I own the truck I want it fixed. Would just replacing the master hopefully fix this problem.

Carefully remove the master and look for brake fluid built up where the pushrod does it's thing. If you see brake fluid? Master is toast. That will take out the brake booster fairly quick. (Loosen nuts, carefully pull forward a touch from the booster...you'll see brake fluid if it's bad)

Double check the check valve on the brake booster. (Remove, blow into each end. Should have air flow in 1 direction only.) Most likely, the booster is leaking. Ours on the BII we used to have did the same thing. Sounded like a vacuum under the dash at random stops...and then it did so at every stop.

Picked up a decent one from the local U-Pull yard. Decent cost, install wasn't as bad as I figured.... Try not to fiddle with any adjustments at first. Sometimes just plug 'n play works just dandy.

S-

barranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ordered both.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals