• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starting Issues after 4.0 Swap!

neggen32

Article Contributor
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
92' 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
33x12.5
I posted a while ago about issues I was having with my '88 Ranger, in which the previous owner swapped a 4.0 from a 92' Explorer into. Apparently all the issues stemmed from him using the original 2.9 harness for the computer and some of the sensors, and splicing everything into the 4.0. I don't know how it ran so well the way he had it but as luck would have it, it decided to take a shit on me and stopped running.

Anyways, I went to the Pull a Part and got the correct harnesses from a 92' 4.0 and decided to do it the right way. I'm not swapping the dash so I'm having to splice everything at the drivers side firewall.

So far I have power to my dash, power to my fuel pump and relays (I can hear them click), and my charging system all hooked up. I hear that these are the only things needed to make it fire up, which makes sense. However, when I turn the key to the start position, nothing happens. I tested the ignition wire going to the starter solenoid with a multimeter and it's getting no voltage. My question is, are there other things that need to be done to get power to the ignition? I've heard of some sort of clutch switch needing to be bypassed or grounded. On a wiring diagrams for the 2.9 I see: a clutch interlock switch, a clutch engage switch, and a neutral sense switch. For the 92' I see a clutch triple function switch, and a clutch triple function jumper. Do any of these wires, if any, need to be grounded or bypassed or hooked together to get power to the ignition.

Note: After trying to test some things out, I heard a sound that sounded like a blown fuse coming from my steering column when I turned the key to the start position. None of the fuses in the fuse box are blown, are there any fuses in the actual steering column that could of made that sound?

Thanks in advance for your help!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have been working on cars for 10 years, doing a lot of electrical work. I have never heard a fuse blow.

There are no fuses farther up in the column, just the ones under the dash, and the circuit from the key to the starter relay isn't fused anyway.

If you retained the 88 dash harness and lighting harness you need to find the little red and blue wire that pushed onto the small post of the starter relay and make sure that one is hooked up, not the wire one in the 4.0 harness.

In a couple weeks here I am hoping to start building the dash harness for my 88 4.0 swap, and I am planning to take much better notes and pictures this time, so I can do a proper write-up.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Neggan,

Adsm08 is a pro. Listen to his advice. :icon_thumby:

And on that note, I have nothing to contribute. Good luck! lol

neggen32

Article Contributor
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
92' 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
33x12.5
Adsm 08, I guess I've never actually heard one either, I just heard a small pop/crack sound come from that area and thought it might be the sound of a small fuse blowing! There's some videos you can find of fuses popping and it sounded similar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ9e4eaOiEk

Anyways, you're right, it probably wasn't that. And I am using the Red/Blue wire from the '88 harness, the same set up that was on it when I used to drive the truck around. It's just not getting any voltage when I turn the key, which I don't get because there's power to the dash and everything else is working.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply! Your comments throughout the site have been a big help to me since I've started putting in the new harness. I've used the 92' plugs from the engine harness and the '88 plugs from the dash to make a sweet little adapter harness that just plugs into both years where they meet! Lol we should just make a bunch of adapter harnesses using plugs from the Pull a Part and sell them to people doing the swap, would save a lot of people the headache of figuring it out, although it is part of the challenge.

There are a few wires coming from the 88' dash plugs that I still don't know what are supposed to go to though. My neighbor just got the EXACT same truck as me with the original engine and I was excited to look at his to see where the wires go, but even his truck that's the same year has slightly different plugs and some different colored wires as mine! Weird. Just made me more confused

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The original transmission, was it stick or auto? An auto trans can open up a whole new can of worms on this swap.

neggen32

Article Contributor
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
92' 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
33x12.5
The original trans was stick, and I also made sure that the 4.0 engine harness I got was from a stick. I can't think of any reason why I'm not getting any power to the ignition wire other than maybe a bad ignition switch or something else that needs to be hooked up

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals