• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting 98 3.0 in 91

Arbo34

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 91 ranger with 2.9 with cracked heads and can't find a replacement motor. I have a 98 3.0 that has a rusted/cracked frame, that runs and drives pretty good. Is it possible to put the 3.0 in in the 91 and what would I have to swap over? Or would it be better to find a 4.0 in a junkyard?

Hopefully I put this in the right sub. Thanks

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm surprised none of the site gurus have responded. Given enough time and money anything is possible. But the 3.0 engine and the 2.9/4.0 are completely different motors. If you can't find another 2.9, you need to find an OHV 4.0 The tech section as well as many threads cover the swap.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It is possible to do such a swap, but the wiring needed to make it work would be a challenge. There's more information on doing a 4.0 or 5.0 swap than a 3.0 swap, so you would largely be in uncharted territory. The advantage is that you have an entire running truck for a donor.

Now, offhand, I'm not sure where the break was for the different 3.0 motors were. IF you have the original 3.0 motor, you may be able to scrounge up a computer and wiring harness that will fit your 91 and be pretty much plug and play, since The early 3.0 was offered in some of the second gen Rangers along side the 2.9 and 4.0 motors. That would make it a pretty straightforward swap like the 4.0 swap.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals