• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which rear end

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
I know someone can answer my question so it goes . I have just bought another 94 ranger ,ext cab ,4.0 , stick with a 373 posi ,I know from the door codes . So are these the torsion rear ends or something else? Thanks

( Edit ) .Is it possible this truck has a traction lock instead of a torsion ¿ . Someone must know ,I can't get an answer from anyone at the stealership because they don't seem to know which is strange seeing how they are suppose to be the experts. Thanks

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not absolutely sure, I believe the TORSEN wasn't available until sometime in the 2000's

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It is a clutch based limited slip, and being a 4.0L it will have a 28 spline 8.8 rear axle.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know someone can answer my question so it goes . I have just bought another 94 ranger ,ext cab ,4.0 , stick with a 373 posi ,I know from the door codes . So are these the torsion rear ends or something else? Thanks

( Edit ) .Is it possible this truck has a traction lock instead of a torsion ¿ . Someone must know ,I can't get an answer from anyone at the stealership because they don't seem to know which is strange seeing how they are suppose to be the experts. Thanks
Ok, so here is the deal.

1) It is a dealership, not a stealership. I wouldn't help you if you were being a dick either.

2) There is no such thing as a torsion rear end. Torsion, in this context, mostly refers to a torsion bar, which is a type of spring that I have only ever seen used on the front of a vehicle. They were used on 4x4 Rangers from 98 up.

3) You are thinking of a TORSEN rear end, which was only on the FX4 level 2 from about 2002 to 2006.

4) The guys are the dealership are the experts. However generally working in a dealership you won't see much of anything over 6 years old, and almost nothing over 10 years. Your truck is 22, it can legally drink. When Ford makes between 10 and 12 models a year, and changes things between all of them, and then changes stuff again every 4 to 5 years, well you just can't expect them to know every detail of every vehicle. Add to that the fact that Ford only makes build sheet data available to the parts departments fro
m 97 on up, and even with the VIN they wouldn't have been able to look it up for you.

I worked at a dealership for 6 years, we had 7 senior master techs in the shop, not including myself, and a few other guys who had been with Ford for many years, just never did the cert work, and a number of sales people who had been with Ford for decades. One day we got an FX4 L2 Ranger in with axle issues and I was the ONLY person in the whole building who knew what was special about that diff.

5) Scott is spot on with the details he gave you.

6) We know these things about Rangers, not because we are dealership personnel but because we are Ranger enthusiasts.

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Ok, so here is the deal.

1) It is a dealership, not a stealership. I wouldn't help you if you were being a dick either.

2) There is no such thing as a torsion rear end. Torsion, in this context, mostly refers to a torsion bar, which is a type of spring that I have only ever seen used on the front of a vehicle. They were used on 4x4 Rangers from 98 up.

3) You are thinking of a TORSEN rear end, which was only on the FX4 level 2 from about 2002 to 2006.

4) The guys are the dealership are the experts. However generally working in a dealership you won't see much of anything over 6 years old, and almost nothing over 10 years. Your truck is 22, it can legally drink. When Ford makes between 10 and 12 models a year, and changes things between all of them, and then changes stuff again every 4 to 5 years, well you just can't expect them to know every detail of every vehicle. Add to that the fact that Ford only makes build sheet data available to the parts departments fro
m 97 on up, and even with the VIN they wouldn't have been able to look it up for you.

I worked at a dealership for 6 years, we had 7 senior master techs in the shop, not including myself, and a few other guys who had been with Ford for many years, just never did the cert work, and a number of sales people who had been with Ford for decades. One day we got an FX4 L2 Ranger in with axle issues and I was the ONLY person in the whole building who knew what was special about that diff.

5) Scott is spot on with the details he gave you.

6) We know these things about Rangers, not because we are dealership personnel but because we are Ranger enthusiasts.
The only reason I called it a stealership was back in the late 70s I worked at one of the biggest Chrysler dealerships and they told us at the service meeting ,in a round about way , to rip off as many people as we could by replacing parts that weren't really needed. So being the kind of person that I am I told them to take their job and put it where the sun don't shine. That has left a really bad taste in my mouth and sometimes I feel like they are all kind of crooked . End of rant.

OK torsen ,I don't always correct Tapatalk.

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While on the subject of axles, how can I find out what type my 98 SPORT has? I wish to put a different cover on it, as I did my Lightning. A lot of aftermarket covers have a drain plug and a fill plug, eliminating the need to pop the cover every time you want to change the oil.

My Lightning has a 9.75 12 bolt, and I put a TA cover on it. The Ranger has a 10 bolt, just not sure what type, and if a cover is available. It looks like the 8.8 covers that are available in this sites Parts Store.

http://www.jamesoaksenterprises.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=109_110&products_id=275

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's probably an 8.8. check the door tag or axle tag to be sure. There's tag decoders in the tech section if needed.
I looked at the door sticker and saw goobletygook. I'll check it again tomorrow. Suspect it is an 8.8 with 3.55 gearing. And with the low profile 255/60-15 tires, it runs more like 3.73's. ;-)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I looked at the door sticker and saw goobletygook. I'll check it again tomorrow. Suspect it is an 8.8 with 3.55 gearing. And with the low profile 255/60-15 tires, it runs more like 3.73's. ;-)

Got a picture? A pic of the cover is always helpful.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got a picture? A pic of the cover is always helpful.
I'll see if I can get one tomorrow. Truck is backed into the garage, doing the intermittent "crank but no start thing" again. GRRRRR!!!!!!:annoyed:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To OP, See that it has a 4.0 so that makes it a 8.8.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's probably an 8.8. check the door tag or axle tag to be sure. There's tag decoders in the tech section if needed.
Nope. Door code is 86. That's an Open 7.5 with 3.73 gears.

Just found out that TA makes covers for both the 7.5 and the 8.8. They are awesome covers ,with both a fill and drain plug. Here's my Lightning's rear end with TA cover, QA-1 shocks, JLP Long Bars and BroncoBeater Pan Hard bar.

Here's the ink to TA Performance.
http://www.taperformance.com/products.asp?cat=52

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Fairly decent price, too. Is that cover aluminum?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
From TA site;
Specifically designed to add support to the bearing caps under severe loads and acceleration, these girdles substantially strengthen the rear end. They also add fluid capacity, which helps to lower the fluid temperature. Comes with drain and fill plugs for easy maintenance.

All TA Girdles are made of 356 aircraft grade aluminum, heat treated to T6 specifications, each cover is then stress relieved.

All Girdles incorporate a Fill Port and a Drain Port for ease of servicing.

All Girdles incorporate 2 load bolts with swivel "feet" for supporting the bearing caps.

All Girdles increase fluid capacity approx. 1/2 pint.

All Girdles show a decrease in operating temperature, average of 15 degrees.

Weighs about 7.5 lbs.
Improves Undercarriage Appearance.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Fairly decent price, too. Is that cover aluminum?
Yes, aluminum and fairly thick at that. The flange is way thicker than the stock sheet metal piece. The kit includes longer allen head bolts. I need to measure how far my rear sway bar is from the stock cover. On Lightnngs, the TA cover hits aftermarket Hellwig bars, like the one on my Ranger. I'm not going to lose the rear sway bar for a fancy differential cover.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals