• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Deciphering Ford Part Numbers

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I picked up the parts book on a CD for my Ranger, it showed up last Saturday. I broke the CC cable while installing it last night so I thought "I have something to look up!" so I get it fired up.

The part number for the CC cable (doesn't matter what) is 9A825, I go to the other book and the prefix is E5TZ for a '85 Ranger/BII.

So so far I have E5TZ-9A825.

Is there some way to know what engine it applies to or how does that part of it work? I know the 2.3 was fuel injected in '85 and usually the cables mount differently than a carb application. And while the cable I actually had was out of an F-150 (it was a pig and a poke thing to see if it would work since it had a carbed 302 like my truck) they also have the same prefix as a Ranger... so the number is as far as I can tell the same no matter if it is a 300 in a F-150 or a 2.3 in a Ranger.

I dunno, things just are not adding up.

I am an ag parts guy, this system Ford cooked up for cars is really goofing me up.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The first set of numbers in this case E5TZ, the E5 is 1985, E = 198, F=199
So is correct for 1985............

But.............Ford only changed that number for a new revision of a part, not for year of vehicle

So the E3TZ-9A825(1983) cable could be used until end of 1987 then revised to E8TZ-9A825 for 1988 models and up until next revision, so your 1985 could use the E3 cable

So try using E3TZ-9A825 or E4TZ-9A825 to see if something pops up

Yes the center number 9A825 is the designation of what the part is, i.e. CC cable, so same number "usually" applies across all Ford models and doesn't change with revisions, the TZ in the first set of numbers usually denotes model

E5TZ
For Rangers the 3rd digit is usually 7 and then Z for service part
T was used for older Ford trucks full size

So you may need to look for Ex7Z

Good read here on the breakdowns of part numbers: http://www.fordification.com/tech/partnumbers_overview.htm

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The first set of number in this case E5TZ, the E5 is 1985, E = 198, F=199
So is correct for 1985............

But.............Ford only change that number for a new revision of a part

So if the E3TZ-9A825(1983) cable was used until end of 1987 then revised to E8TZ-9A825 for 1988 models, your 1985 would use the E3 cable

So try using E3, E4 to see if something pops up
Yeah, I get that part of it too. I have known how engineering codes work for awhile. Just questioning how to tell the difference between applications. If the cable mounts the same on a 2.3 as it does most fuel injected engines it won't work on a carbureted one (like a 2.8)

Basically right now it says it is a throttle cable for a 1985 light truck... but not for which one or which engine.

One did pop up for the number doing a search, it has an extra letter on the end for a revision, not sure if that is something to do with it or not. I always thought it was just an improved version (that is how CaseIH does it at the end of their numbers anyway)

http://www.rearcounter.com/E5TZ-9A825-C-parts96408.html

I will probably just get another JY one but I want to know how to use my books :icon_thumby:

EDIT: Looks like the last letter denotes application.

http://www.fairlanet.com/partnumbers/

Need to find where it calls that in the book I guess.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals