• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

When is it time to call it quits?

wild horse

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Lol ! Thats one good way of thinking about it . And I hope your solenoid problem is fixed and as far as putting a 460 in a B2 I would not waste the time or money and also the fact that it won't fit as I've thought about it , But you can fit a 390 so it's just a thought.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Lol ! Thats one good way of thinking about it . And I hope your solenoid problem is fixed and as far as putting a 460 in a B2 I would not waste the time or money and also the fact that it won't fit as I've thought about it , But you can fit a 390 so it's just a thought.
Hehe...I hope the problem is fixed too, I know a 460 wouldn't fit, but it would be one hell of a Bronco 2 with a 460 under well it wouldn't fit under the hood LOL, tons of modifications would definitely have to be made not worth the time, effort, or money, and definitely wouldn't be efficient.

I'd do a 4.0 or a 302 swap before anything, I just don't want a 4.0 because it would mean more electronic mess and more unnecessary wiring.

I kind of like to keep my vehicles completely stock that's why there isn't going to be an engine swap it would defeat the purpose of having a small SUV. I have a full size 380+hp truck if I want power, I got the bronco 2 for a run around town and hills truck not a race car. The fact that people have put 4.0's into their Bronco 2's and don't get any better gas mileage tells me its not worth my time or effort, and considering the one vehicle I drove that had a 4.0L had more valve train noise after $1200 in valve train repairs than my 84 B2 with the 2.8L 30 year old engine has, I definitely wouldn't waste my time with one. I like mine how it is, well ok, except for the cosmetics LOL.

I did drive it around quite a bit today, and other than the stupid oil leak from the rear main seal its doing pretty well considering it don't have an operational choke at all LOL.

Sure glad to have this TRS forum, its got me though a lot of issues with this B2 so far and is the best resource I've been able to find, I threw the Haynes manual in the trash, it don't come close to the knowledge on this site.

Thanks everyone as always. :headbang:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
460 will fit.

why wouldnt it?:icon_confused: hell if a 5.4 fits and looks good a ol fashined 4bbl 460 would be easy.

of course there quite a few big blocks where i am from....mostly 454 though. takes some modifications and fenderwell headers but that is not really too difficult...i am talking a stock 460 from say a 79 2wd camper special or up...on a 2wd sla chassis a 454 fits with no steering or suspension modifications at all. so i dont know why you would think a 460 wont fit.

the sick thing is i have lifetime brakes for these and starter at autozone for 5.0...and alternater and a few other things from the 90's no one else can get. 3 year warranty is pretty good though.

i would run a decent 4.0 over a vic 302 anyday on a driver b2. 4.0 is perfect for the b2.

you drive my b2 then drive yours and you would see what i am saying....match made in heaven. except the busted body would scare you a bit.

a bare wire is a happy fix....cool deal there.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
460 will fit.

why wouldnt it?:icon_confused: hell if a 5.4 fits and looks good a ol fashined 4bbl 460 would be easy.

of course there quite a few big blocks where i am from....mostly 454 though. takes some modifications and fenderwell headers but that is not really too difficult...i am talking a stock 460 from say a 79 2wd camper special or up...on a 2wd sla chassis a 454 fits with no steering or suspension modifications at all. so i dont know why you would think a 460 wont fit.

the sick thing is i have lifetime brakes for these and starter at autozone for 5.0...and alternater and a few other things from the 90's no one else can get. 3 year warranty is pretty good though.

i would run a decent 4.0 over a vic 302 anyday on a driver b2. 4.0 is perfect for the b2.

you drive my b2 then drive yours and you would see what i am saying....match made in heaven. except the busted body would scare you a bit.

a bare wire is a happy fix....cool deal there.:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:
So are you running a 4.0L in your b2? If so is the mileage with it better or worse than the 2.8L or 2.9L? I've heard the 4.0's are actually worse. I know the 93 ranger would be lucky to get 18mpg on the highway, I would usually get around 21 in my 84 ranger with the 2.8L. I just don't want to deal with any computer crap, I'm trying to get rid of it in my B2, and putting a 4.0L adds more computer crap that's one reason I won't go there with an engine swap.

I'm sure with some body modifications you can put any engine/transmission in you want, its all about how much money you have to waste, me I don't have any so my vehicles stay as close to stock as I can get them. You start modifying things and unless you have an endless supply of money to deal with the constant problems that non-oem engines/components will have it would surly empty my pockets faster than my income comes in.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a different engine, but if I do it will be 100% non-computerized crap, the feedback junk was bad enough. Did I mention I hate computerization in vehicles?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
So are you running a 4.0L in your b2? If so is the mileage with it better or worse than the 2.8L or 2.9L? I've heard the 4.0's are actually worse. I know the 93 ranger would be lucky to get 18mpg on the highway, I would usually get around 21 in my 84 ranger with the 2.8L. I just don't want to deal with any computer crap, I'm trying to get rid of it in my B2, and putting a 4.0L adds more computer crap that's one reason I won't go there with an engine swap.

4.0 thats not optimal in tune at all, fm146 thats whooped...410 gears 33 in tires sas and spooled 9 in runs 13-15 avg. 15-16 hiway if i tune it 17-18 hiway pretty easy. in snows with 4x4 hiway 9-14 depending on conditions. the cost of tuning it may not be worth it if i did not have cash to spend.

its the b2 in this pic...used to be 351's

its pretty beat to hell to say the least.

way back when i had my 89 and 90 2.9 bronco 2's, bone stock with a4ld or 5 speeds they could pull 23 if conditions were fair... generally 17-18 plus though. a healthy 4.0 seems to linger in the teens but tuned make 20's in stock suspension and 31 or less tires no problem...and the power is notably appreciated. on paper it dont look like much, in reality its more then many imagine.(remember i am a v8 guy too)

the 2.8's sucked always. 12-14 town and 20 or so hiway on good days with manual transmissions.. as far as b2's are concerned only owned the one for a few months but worked on it and drove it when my friend bought it. back then in the late 80's-90's i would only consider a v8 swap...and it eventually got totalled before that happened. i hear guys claiming 25 mpg hiway and 18 plus town.:dunno:

my ranger never got out of teens with the 2.9 and a4ld... mileage fell sub 16 after 220k...so it got a fresh cobra engine back in 95. of couse my diesel in there now is nutless compared to a nice smallblock.

I just don't want to deal with any computer crap, I'm trying to get rid of it in my B2, and putting a 4.0L adds more computer crap that's one reason I won't go there with an engine swap.

I'm sure with some body modifications you can put any engine/transmission in you want, its all about how much money you have to waste, me I don't have any so my vehicles stay as close to stock as I can get them. You start modifying things and unless you have an endless supply of money to deal with the constant problems that non-oem engines/components will have it would surly empty my pockets faster than my income comes in.

Don't get me wrong I'd love to have a different engine, but if I do it will be 100% non-computerized crap, the feedback junk was bad enough. Did I mention I hate computerization in vehicles?
if its running good, for sure leave it if you like it. i dont like the 2.8 or 2.9 as thier powerlevels are below what i find acceptable.. the 4.0 and 6.5 are acceptable and well matched to 33 in tires for me in the rbv. especially the b2.

body mods for the engine swaps i do are usually limited to bfh and bodylifts. nothing exotic:dunno:

but i am totally on the other side of this. i modify my shit to do what i need so i can rely on it for the long haul. i love efi gas engines. efi on the gas and diesels up to 06 or so is perfect for most of us. and very reliable. for 250k plus.

the idiots like me with ridiculous demands and not allot of cash to blow have to build our junk. i want a tool that will do anything.

my 6.5 cost me nothing but time as it came in a 1 ton van that was payment for working on a different vehicle. i used the van for a few years and eventually i stole that engine and put it in my ranger because 10-14 mpg sux. ranger is not stock and a 4.0 would get worse in that situation.

i dont have 400 bux into the initial swap. most guys could copy it for less then 9-1500 bux in swap costs doing their own labor. or they could spend 30grand i am sure. one guy pm,d me and insists i am a liar because there is no video of it running.....i have google earth pics of it in florida though:dunno:

i solved the problem of not being able to afford to drive my favorite vehicle for next to nothing... and many would argue i made it a unreliable pos the day i did it because of the engine i used... but well over 200k later its still clattering around. its costly to run it...the tires etc are very expensive, but daily fuel cost is offset with waste oils in the warmer months. the option of alternate fuels makes living with less then ideal power very much an even tradeoff. for now:D

most of the things i do is for the sole purpose of being able to deal with shit on the run, stepping up to a computer controlled trans for my setup was hard for me to do, i am surprised i dont have a ford aod in this thing. or a manual trans of some sort.

but all of the on the fly fixes do add up. and eventually i will have to rip it all out and clean it up again.

a modern 3.7 v6 or coyote 5.0 from a 150 in a decent b2 would be worth 5 grand to do a junkyard swap... i got the 3.7 figured to less then 2800.

the only reason i like the ls over those is packaging.

your fear of a efi mill has merit, but it is costing you as well.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
I like the 2.8L because its simple non-computerized garbage they threw into the 3.0's and 4.0's. I'm a simple person that doesn't like the complexity of the nonsense computer controls. The 2.8L gets me from point A to point B, that's what I got it for. If I wanted a larger engine I would have bought the Full Size Bronco or an F-150 LOL. Then again neither would work on the back roads trails as their too darn wide.

If I were to do a swap it would have to be something like the original 302 before the computer junk was added to them. I have a newer truck and yeah its got power and all but, in 20 years is the electronics still going to be reliable?????...Who knows LOL have only had it 5 years.

natmanjoh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
Swapped to 4.0 from 2.9. Have 31s and haven't regeared, both engines. Auto on both. Got better mileage than my 2.9 with the 4.0. Performs way better even without the regear. Can't imagine what'll be like when its geared properly. But I feel you with the electric stuff. Drove me crazy during the swap. Still have some bugs, but nothing that'll hurt performance or operations. Just annoying, no tach or temp gauge. Too lazy to actual try and figure it out.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
My dash gauges for the coolant temp, oil pressure, and amp didn't work so I just got an aftermarket gauge set and said the hell with trying to figure out the previous owner's stupidity in their wiring crap. I've been cutting and repairing wiring all afternoon and I think I have all of the wires fixed that were worn through leaving bare wiring exposed hitting metal.

This B2 has turned into a huge project vehicle. Other than the cosmetics its starting to become more and more reliable I think. Just small things now mechanic wise, mainly oil leak issues from the oil pan area and the rear main seal. My mom keeps saying I need to get rid of it, but I think that's just because she isn't able to drive it since she refuses to learn how to drive a manual transmission...Sucks to be her LOL. Oh and I'm 31 years old I think I can own what I want mom LOL.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals