• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

what does your batt gage read in access position

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I could have sworn my battery gage has always been in the middle when the key is in the accessory position. Yesterday i noticed that its almost to the bottom mark. My battery reads 12.6 volts, i thought good batteries read over 13 or 14v.
These two things made me think i had a bad battery, am i losin it or what?
Would appreciate it if someone would double chk. ITs an 03 xlt 3.0.

I also checked a new battery in the store, it reads 12.7v, maybe im nuts:icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A standard car battery has 6 cells with 2.1V each, give or take a little. A static battery should read approx 12.6V. 13-14V is what a good ALTERNATOR should put out.

As for your battery gauge, many things could be wrong. Mine, when I still had one, read close to the middle all the time, but had a slight drop if I would tap the brakes with the engine off.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
If your vehicle isn't running your voltage should be around 12.x volts. Totally normal. If its still at that voltage with the vehicle running then you have a problem.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
OK thanks, i just thought batteries read a little higher than that. The gage reads normal ( in the middle) when running, guess i wont worry about it for now. I was just trying to get ahead of a potential problem.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yep 12.1-12.8 is a good stable battery with no loads. engine running you should easily get 13.1 volts. if you don't even get to 13.0 with the engine running then you alternator is failing. and when those fail they go at once. had it happen to me a few times. be driving just fine then the headlights get dimmer, inside lights get dimmer, loss of power. luckily I was always close enough home to get by on jumping the battery every mile or so to get by. battery voltage should be something everybody should know. a volt meter will be you best friend and every guy should have more than one. I probably have 8. I keep one in my truck tool box just for reasons like that. they are normally free at harbor freight. they are cheap but they will tell you what you need to know in a pinch.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Battery gauge is often hooked up to Dash power, i.e. the power for the other gauges
ACC position may not power the dash gauges, no reason to, so battery gauge will not have power either.

Just depends on how it is wired in.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
With a new battery in mine, it reads around the halfway mark all the time, when running. Haven't paid any attention to it when I just turn the key on.

I have a digital gauge that plugs into one of the cig. outlets, that reads voltage. When off, it reads just slightly over 12 volts, usually 12.3 or 4. When running, it typically always runs around 13.7 or 8. When first plugged in right after starting, it will read 14.0 or 1. But then drops to the 13.7 or 8, which it maintains all the time, even with lights on.

I use the digital gauge because it tells you very quickly when something goes wrong. Was out driving one day, and it started dropping, fast. Got down into the 11's when I pulled into a Sears parking lot. Battery died, put a new one in, and it went right back to normal 13.7 or 8.

Was coming home from Thunder Valley (drag strip) in my Lightning, in 2014, same plug-in gauge. Started dropping, and it was night, so the lights started dimming. Barely got the truck home and in the garage, when it was headed down into the 10's. Put new battery in next day, and when started, it started dropping right away. Put in new alternator, and all was, and still is, well. Kept the battery, even though it wasn't the problem, because it was the original Ford battery from 2004.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals