• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 metering block question..

brother-moe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8L boat anchor
Transmission
Manual
so, first off, great website with tons of helpful info.. but i do have one question im not completley sure on... its the 2.8 metering block..

i have a 84 bii, im gathering parts for the duraspark conversion, and since my carb was recently rebuilt, i figured id use that one over buying another, and try this metering block thingy. i already have my 1/2" thick piece of material, but making the proper holes is making me think real hard.. i think i may have it right, but lets see...

i been to the website

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/500837/1986-ford-ranger-regular-cab/page-3
Ive seen the pictures, but im stumped by the large oval hole.. i see that it dosnt go all the way through, so does the 10-24 and 1/4-20 screw holes (from the thickness side) tap through to the oval? and does the larger and smaller metering holes go just to the cavity that the tap made?

thanks in advance. i appreciate any responses to help me save my bii..

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The large oval hole is where the air enters. The smaller holes are where the metered air enters the carb. The screws simply allow more or less air through depending on how far they are screwed in. When you drill for the screws you just drill through until you reach the oval hole. good luck, keep us posted.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Drill two small holes from the outside through the small holes into the large oval then just drill the thread size holes to the small holes and thread them. you can use a couple of idle air screws with the tapered ends or just taper the ends of the screws your using to plug the holes going to the oval hole as you screw them out it allows more air into the venturies and idle air ports just remember which one is which that is why you use two different size holes more as a reference large is high speed bleed and small is idle air bleed. It allows air into the ports so when it goes into the venturies the fuel atomizes better and wont puddle down in the intake manifold.

brother-moe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8L boat anchor
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. I'm working on another design, I made a metering block out of plastic and it kinda looks rough. It may be too soft. I'll keep all posted, but I'm still in the design phase trying to draw up te new idea. But it basically involves removing the electronic cylinder and machining a plug with the 2 adjusting screws whilst still retaining the triangle base plate. I'll try to upload a drawing this weekend for constructive criticism. Thanks in advance and for your patience. I'm learning this thread listing business whilst learning my smart phone also.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals