• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Slipping clutch

Ransom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey ranger enthusiast, I've got an issue I was hoping ya'll could help me with. I've got a 93 ranger 4 speed with OD 3.0. I picked it up a while ago and have been restoring it for a daily driver. However, I noticed the clutch has been slipping and my knowledge of transmissions is limited at best. My full tune-up before getting it registered did a transmission drain and fill, and I did use dex/merc auto trans fluid.

What it's doing is it will sometimes be really slow to accelerate in 1st and 2nd gear, and often it will rev way more than it should with limited movement, especially uphill. All that says to me a slipping clutch. This being a 93 I'm thinking it may have an adjustable linkage.

Is there something I can just tighten up on these old rangers to maybe fix the slipping or do I need to just get to work on replacing the clutch? Please only comment if you know if there is an adjustable linkage or not.

Thanks, Michael B.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You have an M5OD-R1(M5R1) manual transmission in a 1993 3.0l Ranger

No, all Rangers had hydraulic internal clutch slave cylinder so no external adjustment

Yes, it does read like its time for a new clutch

Rangers used self-adjusting Pressure Plates which need to be reset using hydraulic press or much easier, replaced with a new one.
Clutch kit will come with new clutch disc, self-adjusting pressure plate, new slave with throwout bearing and new pilot bearing
These are all parts that should be changed

LUK is a good brand for clutch parts

Flywheel may or may not need to be Surfaced, feel it for grooves, should be super flat and no discoloration, metal hot spots
Rear main seal is behind the flywheel, since these are hard to get to people often remove flywheel and install a new seal when new clutch is installed, your choice really, new seal is under $10

Clutch Master usually lasts much longer than clutch discs, and it can be changed without much work if it does fail.

1993 is around the time Ford changed the Master/Slave hose coupling, EZ-Connect, which is often not EZ at all, lol.

So get a kit specific to 1993, or you can get kit that includes Master, so coupler will for sure matchup

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals