• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch plate backwards or not properly bled clutch?

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well, that didn't work. Let's try something else!
So I'm within spitting distance of finishing my auto to 5 speed conversion. Just installed the clutch master and bled the system several times. I'm able to shift through the gears easily with the engine off. But once started, I cannot shift into most gears.

I can shift into 3rd and 5th with some difficulty, but all other gears won't go. I have not tried releasing the clutch in 3rd or 5th. I don't want to screw things up. My brother installed the clutch disc and swears the flat side was towards the flywheel. But I know a backwards clutch disc will prevent shifting. But since I "kinda" get 3rd and 5th, I'm thinking it's just not bled well enough.

To bleed, we've been using the bleeder on the slave in the same way you bleed brakes. To bleed the master, I removed the c-clip that retains the piston and pulled the piston out until a little fluid came out and then reinstalled. This is the method we used on my brothers ranger with success. But his is an m5od and mine is the dreaded fm145.

This is on a 2.9L bronco 2. It previously had an a4ld and now has a fm145. The master and slave cylinders are new units.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The FM145 is a bastard to bleed. Keep trying.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Is it likely the master or the slave that has air in it?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The line is usually the big issue. There is a U where is goes over the the frame and that is where the air gets stuck.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ah! Never would have thought of that. Any tricks to extracting that air?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ah! Never would have thought of that. Any tricks to extracting that air?
Got a vehicle rotisserie?

The physics of it make it so that the easiest way to do it is to hold the whole assembly upside down. Not exactly practical with an FM145 since the line has no check valve.

If you can get a rubber plug of some sort that fits the fluid reservoir you can pull a vaccum through the top. The 04+ Mustangs use a similar butterfly fitting on their slaves and they don't even have a bleeder anymore, you just suck a vacuum at the top and work the clutch pedal until the stupid thing works.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So I went and made things worse. I'm 100% confident the clutch was bled. It had no play and a good firm feel. I even took the master back out enough to tilt it upward and no more bubbles came out. But it didn't get any better.

So we took the trans back out to check the clutch plate direction. It was fine. Unfortunately whole removing the trans, we broke the hydraulic line. We both thought the other has removed it and we were in a time crunch. So now I have to find a replacement on top of figuring this out.

So here's my next question: the clutch kit I was using was the one from my 83 2.3 ranger. I used it because it was the same size and looked identical to what was in there before, plus it had less than 50 miles on it. I'm thinking there must be a difference though. I bought a new clutch kit from autozone and I'll be damned if I can see anything different, but I'm wondering if maybe the finger springs take a different amount of force to disengage or something. I dunno. This whole thing has me scratching my head. I could use some more guidance.

RayInStl

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Another wall. Exedy's site says the FMD001U clutch disc and the FMC501 pressure plate are for all years of the Bronco II with the 2.8/2.9L V6. I don't have a clue.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals