• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sturgis Mustang Rally, anyone else going?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.sturgismustangrally.com/

My brother and I went out two years ago and it was a riot to watch, this year we are going to partake in some events. Should be a lot of fun. :icon_thumby:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Take lots of pics :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Take lots of pics :D
Will do. :icon_thumby:

Hopefully the GoPro footage turns out too, we are doing a dry run tomorrow night to check camera and mic placement. :D

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember the shots you took last trip, really nice, looks like fun. Love to get back out there.
Dave

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
85, aren't you the one who took the photos of the 70 body kit on a 2010 GT?

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
85, aren't you the one who took the photos of the 70 body kit on a 2010 GT?

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem
Yeah, Retrobuilt had bodykits for a '70 (dressed up as a Boss), '67 and a '69 or so Shelby.

The Boss came out the best IMO. Neat idea but $30-40k is too much on top of buying the car to have a stock car that looks old... I would rather have the new one AND the original for about the same $$ (except for the Shelby probably, but that bodystyle has never been my favorite so no big loss there anyway)

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
OK, the top one is what I was thinking of. For some reason I was thinking it was a 70 rather than a 69. Either way, I'd rock that.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm old school and would love to take that blue one home. If you find the time and your body needs it, check out Evens Plunge in Hot Springs.
Dave

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
I'm old school and would love to take that blue one home.
No doubt. I've had an itch for a 70 (or a 69 would do) Fastback for years. The 70 Boss 429 is my favorite Mustang built to date.

EDIT: My Dad bought a 69 Camaro in 1969 (307 with a Powerglide) - I believe he said it had 3,000 miles on it. And I'll tell you.... it really makes me wonder what might have been if he'd bought a 69 Fastback. He wanted an SS Nova with a 396, but my Grandpa put the kibosh on that trick.

Coincidentally, my Dad reciprocated the same "kibosh" on me getting an 85 Iroc Z28. Best thing he could have done. Thanks Dad!

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I didn't put it together until a long time later why I got a guttless 2 seat Ranger that I didn't trust to hardly leave town. I was pretty much stuck local with only one passenger max and hardly enough power to get into trouble... kinda backfired because it burned gas/oil like it was going out of style.

I really wanted an old CJ-5, I still do but I really don't have a purpose for one. That got shot down pretty quick though...

When I got my Laser dad test drove it because I wasn't that familiar with a manual in a car... he scared me on the test drive. I asked him what he though, "fun to drive but 8x more motor than you need", probably the wrong thing to say to an 18 year old with cash burning a hole in his pocket... I still miss that car.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
My Dad actually traded the 69 Camaro in on a 2wd 74 Chevy truck. Shortly after I was born (literally months) he decided the truck was too crappy in the snow, and he bought another Camaro - this time a 74. The 74 had been "built" (meaning a carb/intake and a shift kit) for the son of a local dealer my Dad went to school with. He pretty much traded straight across for the truck.

I remember as a kid thinking that 74 Camaro was the cats ass. My Mustang would blow the doors off that thing.

My Dad's car history wasn't so good (IMO) until after I bought my 89 GT. Since then he's owned 4 Explorers and a Taurus.... and is now looking at the 2nd gen Escapes to replace the Taurus.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dad started out with something like a '63 Bel-Air... he kept jumping the timing gears on the I6. Then a '74 Satellite 318/auto that was hit twice and never quite right he traded it in on '76 Volare Road Runner (360/4speed, a combo that was technically never built) that he ordered. He loved that car but traded it for a Chrysler TC3 that mom could drive and got an old Duster (that he hated) for his dd, then a mid '70's Chevy truck, '81 Chevy truck, '92 GMC and now an '05 F-150. The Satellite was bought by a salesman and after being driven around the world many times it did the dance in a demo derby, the Road Runner was dealer traded to the next town over and ended up wrapped around a tree.

Sometime after the Volare he picked up a mint '67 Chevelle SS396 with a Muncie for cheap. He built it once pretty mild and then really went to town the second time... he took my uncle up the road shortly thereafter and without getting into the secondaries made my mother very mad. They needed money (I was either just born or on the way) and he admits he kinda killed the funness of the car... there were three trailers in the yard the day after the ad ran in paper. She ended up going to Yankton SD to be restored, the guy said he would send pictures but never did.

He has done pretty good at picking cars, aside from the Bel-Air and Duster I wouldn't turn down any of them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My computer is chewing through a ton of pictures for my timelapse of the Northern Black Hills Fun Run we did today... here is my brother getting a 1 on 1 lession on how to handle a Mustang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_LAmR5_Gw4

Hotel internet is crawling so pic uploads will be slow, going to shoot a video of the Poker Run tomorrow.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I discovered it wasn't the hotel internet that was slow, it was my laptop with 30k+ timelapse pics about ready to crash... that didnt' work out too well.

Pulled into basecamp (Spearfish) right at sunset Wednesday. We hit the carwash when we got in town to get the bugs off when they were still fresh, they came right off.

Rolled out early for the Northern Black Hills Fun Run. It was a treasure hunt where you ran all over and took pictures of certain landmarks.

Others were lined up in the parking lot inside the Thunderdome (large metal framed tent that was basically the center of the whole rally) We were there early so I wondered around and snapped pics of cars that interested me.

Venders migrated around to stay in the thick of it.

Don't let anybody tell you 3V 4.6's don't make power, with a tuner, no rear interior, rollcage, longtubes and different mufflers (along with Brembo brakes and fancy BFGoodrich tires) these things hauled. They said they get about an event out of the brakes and tires on all three cars. They ran whenever the autocross track was open and in a grocery store parking lot across from the show giving whoever wanted to stand in line 30-45 minutes a roughly 1 minute ride. Very much worth the wait.

I love the hood vents :D

Retrobuilt's newest car... still not as good as the '69 Boss.

Off to the Fun Run...

First stop was Bear Butte.

Lunch was at the Tin Lizzie in Deadwood, very good burger and fries. (not a formal stop but we were starving)

Second stop was the Heartbreak mine pit in Lead.

Compressed air locomotive that was used to move things around in the mine.

After a very neat scenic drive we found the Bridal Falls.

Then we picked up a "bonus item" at a retirement home, a marked bottle of water for both pilot and copilot.

The prize was a bottle of Jack Danials, neither of us drink so neither felt bad loosing.

Now that they actually wanted us to most of the Mustangs piled into the paved parking lot that afternoon for for a improptu show. (which was common whenever they weren't staging for autocross)

The "free ride car" details, they have a driving school down in Utah I think Shane would get a kick out of. The brakes and tires were new when they started.

Little bro on deck.

And they are off (driver is probably pushing 70 years old and knows very much what he is doing, I can't say enough about what a ride it is) I snapped this pic and threw that camera down and turned on the GoPro for the above video.

I like this thing.

The burnout contest winner. He supposedly paid $400 for those rims and tires and hated the tires...

Tried to find somewhere to eat somewhere in the middle of that and a car with similar plates tracked us down for pictures.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Day 2 was the Poker Run.

We started out at the Sturgis Racetrack, you get to draw a bonus card if you can present a timeslip. It is free to do and they provide helmets... I can't believe I got my brother to do it. I tried to tell him all we had to do was go down the track, get our slip and were done... but no, he can't do anything halfway and he gives it his best shot.

For a car and driver that have never raced I suppose we didn't do too bad. IMO his launch RPM was too high which pretty much would have killed the time even if the car hadn't rolled ahead (neither of us noticed it at the time) and tricked the lights into thinking we took off early.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jWYIPX2QuY

From there we caught lunch in Deadwood and then went to a hotel in Lead. There we ran into a couple from northern Iowa we met the night before with a '67 or '68 fastback and we caravaned for awhile with them.

From there we went to Hill City.

Then it was on to Keystone, from there the stops were within walking distance which to me was neat because it is a neat main street to walk through. Some where grumbling that there should be more driving... I had fun.

My brother's car's albino clone. It was the only other car we saw with the same hoodscoop, sidescoops, louvers, spoiler and decklid package with the Brembo brake package.

From there we went to Rushmore and Needles/Iron Mountain road.

From there we caught supper and beat it back to Dodge so we could clean the car for the Show-n-Shine the next morning.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals