• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Mileage Ranger Tranny issues

poconoracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2003 Ranger Edge 4.0L 4x4 with 203k miles on it

Recently developed a 3-4 shift flare and intermittent flashing O/D light

Used ForScan and pulled 3 codes

P0733 - Transmission Gear #3 incorrect ratio
P0734 - Transmission Gear #4 incorrect ratio
P0741 - TCC system performance Torque converter slip detected

I have had the truck for about 12000 miles, prior history is unknown. When I got it I dropped the pan and changed the fluid/filter. Fluid was old, not burnt or gritty. No metal in the pan at that time, only sludge/wear particles from the clutches. Cleaned out the pan and new fluid. Ran/shifted fine until a few days ago. Otherwise the truck runs perfectly and seems to have been maintained. I bought it from the original owner.

I don't have a bunch of money to put a new tranny in it. Before I get too far I have a couple of questions.

Can incorrect band tension cause the above issues?

It seems these trannys have issues with the valve body gaskets. Is that a potential cause of the issues/codes?

I have reverse, and other than the flare that just developed there seems to be no change in the trannys behavior.

Its an old truck, swapping the trans will be a colossal PITA. My hope is I can fix the trans in the truck.

Been lurking on the forum for a long time, but this is my first post.
Any help is appreciated
Dave

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did all the codes appear together or has one been lurking? If they all came at once that to me sounds like a pressure loss in the valve body (gasket). Incorrect ratio is due the input/output shaft ratio being out of range. Bands/clutches are probably slipping due to inadequate pressure. Same with the Tcc slip code. The tcc solenoid is modulated with a pulse signal. It slowly increases the pulse to 100% duty cycle so the TC is less of a jerk. If the slip is too high it will throw this code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poconoracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did all the codes appear together or has one been lurking? If they all came at once that to me sounds like a pressure loss in the valve body (gasket). Incorrect ratio is due the input/output shaft ratio being out of range. Bands/clutches are probably slipping due to inadequate pressure. Same with the Tcc slip code. The tcc solenoid is modulated with a pulse signal. It slowly increases the pulse to 100% duty cycle so the TC is less of a jerk. If the slip is too high it will throw this code.

Thank you for the quick reply!

That's a really good question, I didn't clear them and drive it so I don't know if they were set together, or ones been lurking a while. It's the first time I scanned the truck. I'll clear them tomorrow and take it for a spin and see what codes reset.

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
To get that TCC one to come back you will have to be cruising at highway speed. Set up forscan to show actual gear ratio, commanded gear ratio, gear commanded, Tcc duty cycle, Tcc slip ratio

poconoracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
To get that TCC one to come back you will have to be cruising at highway speed. Set up forscan to show actual gear ratio, commanded gear ratio, gear commanded, Tcc duty cycle, Tcc slip ratio

Ok. I'm new to forscan. It's quite the piece of software! It'll come in handy with my diesel excursion as well.

You are talking about setting up the PID dashboard with those values and driving it, correct?

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. I'm new to forscan. It's quite the piece of software! It'll come in handy with my diesel excursion as well.

You are talking about setting up the PID dashboard with those values and driving it, correct?

Yeah that's correct. I like doing the table setup instead of dashboard. Which adapter are you using? Obdlink mx or generic elm327?

poconoracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Only drawback to the generic elm327s is a slow refresh rate. If you load too many pids to read it will take longer for each one to refresh. If you are only looking at a handful it's fine but if you load up a full page full you will see the increase In refresh rate.

poconoracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. Only drawback to the generic elm327s is a slow refresh rate. If you load too many pids to read it will take longer for each one to refresh. If you are only looking at a handful it's fine but if you load up a full page full you will see the increase In refresh rate.

Makes sense. For $30 I shouldn't expect too much. I'll clear the DTC's, load up those parameters and take it for a highway run and see what I get. Hopefully I can get off of work tomorrow early enough to do it.

Thanks for your help so far. I appreciate it.

poconoracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Ok I ran It with the codes cleared and the data stream being logged. It really had issues until it warmed up.

Any help you can give me would be appreciated. If you neeed the picture of the graphical data, let me know. its too big for the forum

Attachments

Last edited:

poconoracing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Welp - I guess we know whats wrong....

Ran it to get the codes to reset today. Got 2

p0733 and p0741

After about 10 minutes of driving the trans temp spiked on forscan, lost all movement and tranny fluid came pouring out if the bellhousing.....

I'm guessing the TC gave up the ghost? or the pump perhaps?

It's going to have to come out.

Any leads on a used tranny in NE PA?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals