• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2002 Explorer 4WD not engaging

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2002 Explorer, 4.6L V8.

As the title says I have a problem with 4WD. Initial thoughts went to the controller or the shift motor, but not sure how to interpret the symptoms.

When I select 4x4 the 4x4 light comes on in the instrument cluster. The front wheels are not engaging. In slippery condition, rear will spin and front wheels won't drive at all On dry pavement I can turn 360 deg with no hint of binding. When I turn it off the 4x4 goes off. This is a 4wd, not a AWD and I am pretty sure is used to bind if there was not enough slip.

When I select 4x4 low and have vehicle in neutral, it goes thru its normal switch ritual with flashing light on the 4x4 low switch and after an audible clunk it indicates 4x4 low on the dash.

While in 4x4 low, it is clearly in low range, but again in slippery conditions the front wheels are providing no drive power. On dry pavement I can drive 360 degrees with no binding.

So I am a bit puzzled. It seems the controller is working. It also seems the shift motor is working.

Is there something else I am missing or have mis-interpreted? On thing I can think of left is a problem in the transfer case itself. Yuck!

Not sure how long this has been going on. I did have an issue in the winter where in the snow, it seemed to lack traction and act like it was in 2wd. At the same time however I had a problem with the front drive shaft and that needed work.

For what it is worth, I had a trans rebuild in spring of 2016. Not sure if there is something that could have gotten unplugged or done during that work that is affecting this. I think I would have noticed before now. There are some steep hills with stops on them where the auto 4wd would kick in routinely in wet weather.

Thanks in advance.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4WD lights working and the fact you do get Low Range on rear wheels in 4Low means 4WD shift control and motor are working as you suspect :)

2002 Explorer should have Live Axle up front, so front hubs/wheels are always locked to front driveshaft.
And a BW4411 if its not AWD, which is a chain drive transfer case

Jack up the front wheels, transfer case in 2WD
Front differential is an OPEN type so only 1 wheel gets power, so turning a wheel may or may not get driveshaft to turn
Turning driveshaft should get one wheel to turn, maybe both but in opposite directions

Now shift transfer case into 4WD, high or low, turn off engine with trans in Park or any gear.
front driveshaft should now be locked.
If you can easily turn front driveshaft then transfer case issue would be my guess as well

Then try to turn wheels, they should also be locked
If a wheel spins easily then that hub or axle on that side may be damaged or the carrier is.
OPEN differentials send all the power to the easiest axle/wheel to turn, if there is a disconnection in the front axle then thats the axle that would get all the power in 4WD, and if it is disconnected from the wheel..........then no 4WD

Last edited:

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
RonD, if both front wheels are up, if drive shaft is locked, wouldn't turning one wheel result in the other wheel turning in the opposite direction?

I have to do some other work that will get both front wheels off the ground. Will check those things.

With wheels on the ground, in or out of 4WD the front shaft can only be moved a few degrees so I know there is not a total de-coupling from the front wheels.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
As expected.

Front on jack stands and wheels off the ground. Front shaft will turn regardless of it being in 4WD or not. One wheel or the other does turn when shaft turned Turning one wheel usually results in other turning backwards or the shaft turning.

All that seems correct to me far as the front end goes.

Looks like the transfer case is just not engaging the front shaft. Unless there is something responsible for this besides the same motor movement that engages 4x4 low then it appears like problem is internal to the transfer case.

Someone tell me I am wrong here and missing something please?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, yes you are correct, OPEN will cause one wheel to turn in opposite directing even if drive shaft is locked.

Yes, reads like problem will be in transfer case

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, yes you are correct, OPEN will cause one wheel to turn in opposite directing even if drive shaft is locked.

Yes, reads like problem will be in transfer case
I hate it when I am correct :(

Thanks RonD. Always appreciate the help

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals