• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L 4x4 automatic 88' ranger engine swap help!!!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 88' ford ranger XLT 4x4 that's an automatic with a 2.9L engine and was really hoping to get some help with an engine swap I am wanting to do. I'm wanting to put a mustang engine in my truck if possible and if so I was hoping someone could give some helpful tips and tag some links for info. i didn't know if it would be better to keep it an automatic or swap for a manual. I also wanted to know what engine would be best to put in. I obviously need help on this project and trying to keep the swap under 20k.
Thank you for the help! :icon_confused:

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
More auto shenanagans on instagram @waterloocustomworks
Just under this section of the main forum page is one called "V8 Conversion"

There are also a few good "how-tos" under the tech section.

Do a search on this forum for "mustang" and a ton of 5.0 threads come up. Start researching there and learn as much as you can. Then, once you have something specific that would be a good time to ask the guys on the forum.

20K imo is a hefty budget for a 5.0 swap, you should have no problem doing this. My advice would be to try and find an old, beat up 5.0 mustang to start with that you can get for cheap. Something complete but with a crappy exterior. Buy the whole car, pull the motor, trans, computer (if going fuel injection route) all the wiring you need, and any other mustang goodies you want to swap (they use a lot of the same parts like seat belt buckles and random crap like that) and then just scrap or sell the shell when you're done pillaging it.

Good luck on the build man.

tx_pwp5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inches
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
More auto shenanagans on instagram @waterloocustomworks
Oh, and BTW- Most people buy 5.0 explorers for this. I believe they have the correct motor mounts and stuff that you need, but I've never done one of these so keep that in mind. Just trying to point you in the right direction. Plus, they are probably easier to find and cheaper. I remember reading that there was a specific year that worked best for this, due to the change from the old OBD1 to OBD2 I believe. Again, research as much as you can first.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you I appreciate it let me know if there is anymore info that would be of any help

Sent from my C6750 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals