• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

EX auto tranny to manual swap

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Am intending to do a swap to a 5 speed, and want to know if any 1st gen tranny will work. I saw somewhere that only the 93-94 work for 94's. Also, what parts do I HAVE to have NEW for this swap? I know that the clutch master and slave cylinders need to be new... How long has it taken any of you to do this? What was the biggest hurdle?

How does one store a tranny? Fluid in or out?

Will any model 5 speed tranny fit the auto transfer case that I have? (Navajo, mazda, ranger)??? What are the model #'s for the different vehicles??

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Any 4.0 manual transmission from 1990 to 1998 will fit. They are all M5OD-R1

Any RBV transfercase will bolt to any RBV 4x4 transmission.

While you could use a used flywheel I wouldn't. The price split is insignificant since a used one will need surfaced.

The clutch kit will need to be new. It's pointless to get a used one.

Don't forget that you need a new (to you) starter. The flex plate is smaller than the flywheel and so an auto starter won't engage.

A manual trans is best stored with the fluid in it. It will keep the guts from rusting. I like to pull the shift plate off the top and check the synchros to make sure that they aren't beat and chewed up really bad before I put the trans in and find out that it grinds going into gear.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Great thank you very much! I appreciate the input. Would I need a new TOB? Are there any swap threads here? I've been on explorer forums and some of the people there aren't very helpful.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Hey Tammy, hows it going?

This thread might help.

M5OD swap

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Its going. LONNNNGGG Story....I had traded my 91 in for a hyundai accent, well i ended up not being able to afford the payments on it, so I gave that back, and bought a 94 xlt. Its an auto and I want a 5 speed in it :)

Oh I've already gone through that thread many times :) Not enough pictures for me to be able to do much with.

Is there somewhere a factory shop manual online that I can buy/view so that I can see an exploded view of the tranny and all the parts etc?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Any clutch kit worth what you pay for it will come with a TOB and spring. Last time I went and bought a slave cylinder by itself I couldn't get one that didn't come with a TOB b/c those had been discontinued. Odds are you will end up with two or three and never have to buy one by itself.

Not sure exactly what you want to see with the pics. There isn't a whole lot to see. Flywheel goes smooth side out pilot bearing goes in it, clutch has "flywheel" and "pressure plate" printed on opposite sides of it. If you manage to put the pressure plate on backwards, well kudos to you because you can defy physics. And the slave just bolts into the bell. Spring and TOB go on the end, and you are good to go.

If you buy a slave from NAPA it comes preassembled with the bearing and spring.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ok so NO Autozone parts lol. Gotcha. I'll try the NAPA one instead :) Thanks!

Not a bad price for that Napa clutch kit :)

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not all AZ parts are junk, I just don't care for most duralast parts.

Their batteries are pretty good. Talked to one guy once who claimed to have almost 20 years on one. Not sure I believe that, but impressive if true.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wow, 20 years, some how i find that hard to believe lol. Thanks for all the tips, it sure has helped me start to shape up the swap.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Like I said, I'm not 100% convinced myself since I'm not sure that the brand had been around for 20 years at that point.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Any 4.0 manual transmission from 1990 to 1998 will fit. They are all M5OD-R1

Any RBV transfercase will bolt to any RBV 4x4 transmission.

While you could use a used flywheel I wouldn't. The price split is insignificant since a used one will need surfaced.

The clutch kit will need to be new. It's pointless to get a used one.

Don't forget that you need a new (to you) starter. The flex plate is smaller than the flywheel and so an auto starter won't engage.

A manual trans is best stored with the fluid in it. It will keep the guts from rusting. I like to pull the shift plate off the top and check the synchros to make sure that they aren't beat and chewed up really bad before I put the trans in and find out that it grinds going into gear.
Actually the starter ring gear on the auto flywheel is exactly the same diameter on both auto and manual trans.

What is different about the manual trans flywheel on the w.0 is that the friction surface on the 4.0 flywheel is larger in diameter than the ring gear, so what they did was move the starter ring gear closer to the engine.

So what is different on the starter is that the "nose" of the starter is shorter.

an auto trans starter will start the engine the problem with it's longer nose is that it simply cannot retract far enough to disengage from the flywheel after the engine has started.

So yes, you need a new starter.

AD

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got it. New starter on the list. I JUST found a manual tranny for $50 from a guy who had it stored in his garage. He said his son told him that it worked when it was pulled. I think I might rebuild the whole entire thing, who knows what the inside of the tranny looks like.

Its going to take me some time to gather all the parts I need.

What exactly is the clutch pedal switch? What does it do and what does it look like? Is it necessary to have? How hard are the pedals to put in? I've read some ppl say that you have to remove the dash in order to do that....I really hope not.

Does anyone know where I can find an exploded view of the manual tranny? I need pictures to see what goes where, as this is my first tranny build. I've already tried rockauto, autozone and oreillys. I bought a factory shop manual but it wont get here til tuesday. Yes, I'm impatient LOL.

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Got it. New starter on the list. I JUST found a manual tranny for $50 from a guy who had it stored in his garage. He said his son told him that it worked when it was pulled. I think I might rebuild the whole entire thing, who knows what the inside of the tranny looks like.

Its going to take me some time to gather all the parts I need.

What exactly is the clutch pedal switch? What does it do and what does it look like? Is it necessary to have? How hard are the pedals to put in? I've read some ppl say that you have to remove the dash in order to do that....I really hope not.

Does anyone know where I can find an exploded view of the manual tranny? I need pictures to see what goes where, as this is my first tranny build. I've already tried rockauto, autozone and oreillys. I bought a factory shop manual but it wont get here til tuesday. Yes, I'm impatient LOL.
haha honestly the hardest part for me on the swap was the stupid pedals, i didnt drop the dash, i took my drivers seat out (for more room) unbolted the parking brake bracket from the left kick panel, slid it down, and you can move the bar that holds the brake and clutch pedal, it still sucks tho, just barely enough space to move the bar over far enough to get it out of the bracket, and its just an unconfortable position to be in that whole time lol

don't forget to bench bleed your clutch master and slave cylinder, or you will have one HELL of a time getting it bled once together

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals