• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lifter noise ??

bigjerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I've been getting this clacking noise at idle lately, and after taking it to a couple different mechanics I've some different opinions about the noise. I doesn't do it constantly so it was hard to get anybody to believe me at first, but one guy i know got to hear it, and seems to think it is lifter near the drivers side and said he could replace the lifters. Now, is there any point only fixing just the lifters as opposed to a complete valve job? Seems a little iffy to me, but i could be wrong. He even offered to do only the one side that is really noisy. Also, around here I've been told that timing chain noise could be the problem as well. Would the timing chain noise be obvious? Trying to figure out what to do. May you could listen to my clip of the noise here.......

----->>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXLpdgMvn00

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never!

I've been getting this clacking noise at idle lately, and after taking it to a couple different mechanics I've some different opinions about the noise. I doesn't do it constantly so it was hard to get anybody to believe me at first, but one guy i know got to hear it, and seems to think it is lifter near the drivers side and said he could replace the lifters. Now, is there any point only fixing just the lifters as opposed to a complete valve job? Seems a little iffy to me, but i could be wrong. He even offered to do only the one side that is really noisy. Also, around here I've been told that timing chain noise could be the problem as well. Would the timing chain noise be obvious? Trying to figure out what to do. May you could listen to my clip of the noise here.......

----->>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXLpdgMvn00

I NEVER advise a valve job! What is done in a "valve job" is forced WEAR on both the head and also the valves!
If the head needs valve seals...then install them and be about your business! If ONE valve is burnt then install ONE new valve and lap it in and then be about your business..

If you are having trouble even getting others to HEAR a noise then you don't have a problem.. Wait until the noise is easily heard and identified. Which may be years from now.
Big JIm :wub::hottubfun:

bigjerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Jim. The noise is very easy to hear, it's just it doesn't seem to make it when i want somebody else to hear it. The one guy that actually heard it thought lifter noise, and said he could do the lifters on one side where it is making all the racket for $350. I had talked to somebody else who said there wouldn't be a point unless overhauling the top end(or valve job was what he called it). Would that make sense to just fix the lifters?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
a 4.0 that clicks at idle is making a valvetrain noise,
but I'll bet money that it isn't the lifters.

The usual problem is the rocker arms and pushrod tips.

AD

bigjerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Does a SOHC have pushrod tips? If this guy went in there looking to do the lifters would he notice what was going on just by looking? Also, Saquatch was saying it could be timing chain noise from bad tensioners. Are those even visible once the heads come off?

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
No push rods in an SOHC.

What can happen in the early SOHC's is that the chain guides (made of plastic) can break, causing the chains to rattle. The tensioners are controlled by oil pressure.

Usually this noise will get worse are you rev the engine. Its a very noticeable clacking noise.

bigjerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Sr, this noise happens at idle when warm, right when the rpms drop. When i rev it just a bit it goes away. If this guy is looking for bad lifters would be able to differentiate whether it was the timing chain? i guess im just hoping to delay the inevitable death of my engine, or just hoping that it is a lifter.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dude you need to look at a schematic of your sohc engine. There ain't no lifters in that engine. What you have is lots of timing chain and camshaft operated rocker arms.

I'm leaning toward the tensioner also. I've never done one of those but they are doable.
If you get your hands on a WAND while the engine is making the noise. You can use the WAND to listen to the front, sides and top of the engine.

This should tell you where the noise originates. For a wand, a long screwdriver or a hammer handle can be used. Placing it against your ear tightly and the other end against the engine. The sound is transmitted directly into your head..

But be careful of moving parts!!! Can get a bit dicy if the belt gets into the WAND!
I have a lectric one a grateful friend gave me after seeing me use a screwdriver to find his noise.
Big JIm

bigjerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure If i could make much sense out of schematic, but I may need to. I've had it in this shop that has a monopoly here In HB and they seem to be pretty stumped. I've got the mechanics to witness the noise, but it only lasted a couple minutes and they can't seem to reproduce it themselves. They had heard of the timing chain tensioner issue and have some suspicions, but my symptoms don't fit quite right. The noise goes away under just a little load like revving it just barely,and they think it it were the tctensioners it would be making noise at higher rpms. who knows. If it is the tensioners is that about as bad as having to get the thing rebuilt as far as cost to repair?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
You truck being a 4x4 has a camshaft timing cassette for each camshaft, as well as another chain for the balance shaft. Total of 3 chains.

And yes Big Jim M, there are indeed hydraulic lash adjusters in this engine, the roller cam followers ride on them.

To replace a timing chain/ cassette assembly in this engine requires a pile of specialty tools to lock everything in place, as well as to re-time it again after wards. You also need a torque wrench that is capable of torquing left hand thread bolts, as one camshaft sprocket is RH thread and the other is LH thread.

bigjerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
new engine im guessing then huh. ouch.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Just drive it. Worry about it if it gets worse.

bigjerm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
V6 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Drive it til she blows huh. thanks SR..... Hey, if it's making this noise at idle does that mean the chain flying apart is pretty much imminent. I had planned on being fairly far into Mexico next month and would hate to get stuck. if I end up looking for a used engine, are the 4x4 engines any different from what's listed as a ranger 4.0 v6?

is that mountcrawler website yours?

Last edited:

Yellowsplash

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
this noise happens at idle when warm, right when the rpms drop. When i rev it just a bit it goes away. If this guy is looking for bad lifters would be able to differentiate whether it was the timing chain?

They had heard of the timing chain tensioner issue and have some suspicions, but my symptoms don't fit quite right. The noise goes away under just a little load like revving it just barely,and they think it it were the tctensioners it would be making noise at higher rpms. who knows.
SOHC engines have lifters which are known as lash adjusters. They usually dont make a clack sound, but more of a slight tick.

From what I understand, the tensioner is ran by oil pressure. Have you used an aftermarket gauge to verify the real oil pressure in your engine. Your oil pressure drops significantly at idle when the engine is at full operating temperature. It might be the loss of oil pressure allowing less preload on the chain and thus chain slack. Once you rev it abit, the oil pressure jumps and the tensioner tightens up.... Just a theory. I would do this before you tear into anything.

Fast Doc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like exhaust maifold leak to me. I'd check that before getting into the expensive stuff.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals