• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 OHV main bearing noise or valve noise

blair683

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I recently bought a 93 ranger with a 4.0 5 speed 4x4. When I bought the truck it had a blown intake gasket and didn't run. I put new head gaskets and intake gaskets on it and it runs now. It actually seems to run pretty good with the exception of a slight hesitation when taking off. It has good oil pressure and the pressure never seems to drop out. The issue is at idle you can here a valve tap noise it is very evident it is a valve noise. But when you get up in higher RPMs the tap becomes more of a rattle and it is an awful sound. I had a jeep with a straight 6 engine and the mains went out on it and it made the identical noise but it would lose oil pressure. Do you guys think I could have a collapsed lifter or worn out pushrods? I would hate to buy push rods, rockers, and lifters and it end up being a rod bearing. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Nick998

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
These 4.0's are known to have noisy valve trains and do wear out pushrods

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? (Or even a long screwdriver?) That can help you narrow down where in the engine the sound is coming from.

I second the known for wearing pushrods. Lot's of stories here..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals