• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 swap harness/trans question

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok guys I know the 4.0 swap thing is all to common and I feel preety confident in the swap after reading all the stuff on here about it. Only question is will the 4.0 harness and computer out of a 91 ex with auto trans work if I put a M50D in it instead. This is the wifes Bronco and she insist's on keeping a 5sp. otherwise I would just do the auto. I have a feeling that the computer is going to act funny and throw a code due to no feed back from the trans. Is this correct? By the way it's going in a 88 Bronco with a 2.9 and 5 speed.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a question that I have also. On fullsize trucks, the computer controls spark for the engine and shifts the tranny, I know this cause I put a 351 where a 302 was and did not use the 351 computer.

As for the B2, I'm not sure. It probably would, but would throw codes and check engine light that might affect driveability. .

Only one way to find out for sure.

With it being an 88, it has the mitsubishi tranny. I'd probably wait til I had the whole explorer for the swap so I could put the M5OD in with the BW 1354 tcase and D35 front end along w the 8.8 rear end. That's what holding me up is the right donor truck.

I'm about to complete my 1st 4.0 swap w an auto. I used the entire wiring harness, manuals from both trucks and alot of head scratchin and frustration.

Have fun, I hope I helped a little.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I do have the donor already and do plan on a M50D. The donor however is an auto hence the question. Manual equipped Explorers in this area are VERY hard to find. I suspect the dumbass cash for clunckers program got most of them. I will be using a manual shift transfer case,most likely the one in the Bronco now. Cant stand push button 4x4. I want to know I am locked in ya know? I do plan on the axle swap at the same time as the engine though. Thanks

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The only thing will be that the computer will toss a code....I think there is a way to make the computer think an auto is hooked up, I think I saw it on here but don't remember where. Maybe someone else will chime in with the info.

Louis

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just checked my pm's and Squashman2009 said that what he did with his was to hook up a 12v power wire to the harness where the jumper for the clutch engage wire is. That way it thinks the tranny is in gear from what i gathered from what he said anyhow. Anybody else got any info on this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I think the harness will work. You shouldn't get auto trans codes if you use a manual trans computer, which has a better program anyway.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
By the way, the A4LD out of the Explorer is in good shape if anybody needs one. I would keep it for my Bronco but kinda need to replace some of the money from the purchase of the Ex. The 1354 electric shift transfer is good too. Drove the thing home(about 20 miles)with no noises and shifted fine. I most likely will do a v-8 and straight axle conversion on mine anyway.

greasemonkey6886

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
problem with the manual computer is the only one I have is for a 2.9 not 4.0 and dont feel like risking my luck trying to find a good one for the 4.0 in the jy if I dont have too.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
By the way, the A4LD out of the Explorer is in good shape if anybody needs one. I would keep it for my Bronco but kinda need to replace some of the money from the purchase of the Ex. The 1354 electric shift transfer is good too. Drove the thing home(about 20 miles)with no noises and shifted fine. I most likely will do a v-8 and straight axle conversion on mine anyway.
What if I trade you a computer for the transfer case?

Louis

twoll86

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals