• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

which heads to buy? ASAP help

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I did a lot of searching and couldn't find a link to a site with a solid recommendation. I have had 3 sets of stock heads magnafluxed and all 3 sets were cracked. so I'm in the market for something new (i don't want to spend the money but i don't seem to have a choice)

the motor is going in a 96 ranger 5sp with 9in lift and 33s
the rest of the motor is flat top pistons
comp 422 cam
basic bolts ons full exhaust all that crap

I would like to find a set of heads and valves with no hardware, springs or pushrods but because everything else i already have. any suggestions or can anyone tell me what heads to look for that are less likely to crack?

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I just called promaxx and they quoted me 440 for the pair shipped. with just naked heads and boxed valves (ive got everything else)

I also found these but I don't know if i trust them http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOORES-FOR3126B-Cylinder-Head-Reman-Cylinder-Head-/360771654666?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3ARanger%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.0L&hash=item53ffaa940a&vxp=mtr

anyone else got links or suggestions? is there a stock head from a different year that is stronger and is less likely to crack?

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
not one person has an opinion on an aftermarket head to replace these junk ones that one stop cracking?

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tom Morona offers stock replacements with thicker walls around the ports. He also offers ported polished 4.0 heads in a few different flavors.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
not one person has an opinion on an aftermarket head to replace these junk ones that one stop cracking?
Dude, you just posted the thread 3 hours ago. Most people are at work right now (I should be too) and can't look at the forum to see your thread. I understand that you feel like you are in a hurry, but they won't get to you any quicker if you order now or Monday morning.

I just called promaxx and they quoted me 440 for the pair shipped. with just naked heads and boxed valves (ive got everything else)

I also found these but I don't know if i trust them http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOORES-FOR3126B-Cylinder-Head-Reman-Cylinder-Head-/360771654666?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1996%7CMake%3AFord%7CModel%3ARanger%7CEngine+-+Liter_Display%3A4.0L&hash=item53ffaa940a&vxp=mtr

anyone else got links or suggestions? is there a stock head from a different year that is stronger and is less likely to crack?
ProMaxx used to be Alabama Cylinder Head Exchange. They did offer thicker the aftermarket casting in both bare and assembled. I bought the complete castings years ago, but I think I have other problems with my engine. They, along with the block, will be coming out in the next few weeks to be checked so I'll find out how well they hold up then.

The ones on eBay are probably no better than what you have now. They are most likely reman stock head castings that are just as prone to crack as the ones on the truck now.

Stock for stock the 98tm (98-2000) castings are a little stronger IIRC, but the 95tm (95-97) castings you have now flow better. If you want to run stock head with no other work done then you are best off sticking with the same design castings you have now. If you want to port and polish it is my understanding that the 98tm castings can be taken further. If you don't plan to get a tuner set up for your truck then you will definitely want to stock with 95tm castings, but you still may need one for that cam. I'm not saying to stay with the Ford stock 95tm or 98tm castings, just make sure that the aftermarket casting is a replacement for it.

Sorry if I confused you there.

Tom Morona offers stock replacements with thicker walls around the ports. He also offers ported polished 4.0 heads in a few different flavors.
Tom's heads use the aftermarket thicker castings, but I don't know who's he uses. This may be a very good option for you. If I were going that route (and I may if mine are cracked) I'd get the stage 1 heads and have him set them up with dual springs. The cost a little more, but they would be ready to run out of the box. With the cam you plan to run you will need dual valve springs anyway, which means more machine work in addition to what ever was already needed on the bare castings (valve job, etc). You'd probably break even, and the porting will really compliment that camshaft.

Also check out your pushrods and rockers. This motor has a bad habit of chewing them up. You'll need different pushrods with that cam, I think they needed to be longer because of the change in base circle of the cam. If you call Smith Bros. Pushrods I think they'll be able to get you the right ones. They've sold enough for that engine/cam combo that they know what's needed. If you need rockers, sealed power makes good replacements from my understanding.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
^Yup.lol

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know, I say way too much. I blame it on living alone, and having no one to talk to.

will2045

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
ordered heads this morning from Tom

Krwlnrx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just got some stock 95TM cast heads for my truck from Cylinder Heads International. Came ready to go out of the box w/ new valves/springs. Inexpensive also.

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
How are those CHI heads

I just got some stock 95TM cast heads for my truck from Cylinder Heads International. Came ready to go out of the box w/ new valves/springs. Inexpensive also.
I'm probably going to order a pair for my 99 Ranger. How have yours performed for the time you've had them?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals