• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine bogging down

neilk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,,, I have a 98 ranger with a 98 5.0 in it with a m5od manual tranny,,,from time to time I will be driving along and the engine starts bogging down to the point I have a hard time climbing hills, I get it home let it set overnight and it runs fine. I have changed o2, iac, mass air, cam position, crank position sensors and the fuel pump, it seems to occur when I have a sudden lug down like hitting a drift of snow, I'm at loss at this point, could it possibly be the ecu trying to downshift the aod tranny that isn't there. I have also tried disconnecting the battery no help,,,,thanks,,,Neil

crusin93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1998
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
This situation is hard to diagnose without experiencing it in person. However I would start by looking for loose connections including grounds. If the problem is brought on by shock, then something, somewhere is loose.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator?

neilk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
yep, I changed the fuel pressure reg. and the coil packs too, funny thing though, it started two years ago and I would change something and it would run fine so I would think it was fixed, it has only happened two or three times each winter and only in winter it has never happened in the summer, almost like something is getting wet....Neil

dasfinc

October 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What ECU and fuel system are you using? Ala what year ECU, and are you running a return line, or using the stock return-less system?

Running the wrong ECU for your fuel system setup will cause some fairly odd behavior such as what you are experiancing.

This type of problem can also be caused by using the wrong, or a badly adjusted CPS Sensor (or a bad CPS sensor...)

neilk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm running a 97 v8 explorer ecu because of the pats problem. I have been trying to find someone to reflash the 98 ecu with some changes and I am running the duel fuel line setup from the explorer

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm running a 97 v8 explorer ecu because of the pats problem. I have been trying to find someone to reflash the 98 ecu with some changes and I am running the duel fuel line setup from the explorer
So you added the return fuel line then? what fuel pump are you running?

most tuners can disabled PATS on a newer ECU.

neilk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
no I modified the explorer fuel lines and installed a good v8 fuelpump

dasfinc

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would check your CPS alignment/sensor next then honestly, as those control the injector pulse timing of your injectors and can cause some weird shit... I had a really bizarre miss from 2000-3400RPM that was caused because the sensor wasn't aligned correctly... Drove like a raped ape otherwise!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals