• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.73 to 4.10 swap advice please

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
Just out of curiosity, what prompted you to want to do the swap? Mounting larger tires?
i found a good deal on some control arms on craigslist and i needed a bigger tire size for em so i got some 32's and now im struggling to make it up hills and 5th gear is pretty much useless now

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
My questions are why do you have to regear your current axle? and Why do an explorer axle if you are hesitant about welding and cutting?

There are plenty of 4.10 geared 28 spline 7.5's and 8.8's that come stock in older to current Rangers....that will basically bolt into place of your current axle. It's my belief that going to the extreme isn't always the best option.

An axle can be had for $250...easy at most j-yards. The cost of gears, supplies, tools, or even the price of somebody setting them up are considerably higher.

Just an option to consider. :icon_thumby:

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
my cousin just got a 7.5" with 4.10 gears for 70 at craigslist. including lift blocks and a spare tire LOL

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Your not going to find a 4:10 8.8 axle out there from an Explorer Rangers had them on special application only it's been said on here.There is quite a few 7.5 4:10s out there in mid 80s all were automatics My B2 came with one.The cheapest easiest way would be to buy one of those.
Explorer axles came with 4.10 gears. Axle code was D2, had a l/s too.

Some Ranger axles actually came with 4.56 gears, but Im not sure on the details for them... Also, I have an 88 b2 with a 5speed and 4.10 gears, LS in the rear.
For your purpose, I would say get a Ranger 8.8"... The advantage to the Explorer 8.8 is the fact it is a bit stronger, but you are already getting a huge strength increase just going to the 8.8, and it means no cutting, welding, or anything. Just stay away from 31-spline Ranger axles (99+ 4.56-geared axles, I think?) because they are impossible to find parts for.

This page will pretty much tell you everything you need to know.
http://therangerstation.com/tech_library/Axles.html

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the only difference in a ranger 8.8 and a 7.5 is the ring gear. axle shafts are the same spline count and same diameter

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
My questions are why do you have to regear your current axle? and Why do an explorer axle if you are hesitant about welding and cutting?
i was going to re gear it because i pretty much have to floor it to get my tires rolling because of my stupid choice in tire size for a 2.5L, my friend's dad has changed out gears on alot of trucks and told me he would walk me through it for free and i just found a ring and pinion set on craigslist for $100, the shop selling em said out the door with install would be $280, and i just need something to get me around town and hopefully help my mpg a little until i can get a better project axle to fix up
how long do you think my 7.5 would last with 4:10 gears in it?
i do very little offroading now so i wouldnt be pushing it too hard, im just trying to get a little more power or mpg :icon_confused:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 7.5 should hold up fine. I have two of 'em with over 300 000 km each on 'em, no problems. And they both came out of 4x4s with 2.9l v6.

$100 isn't a bad price, but as stated before, you can get a whole axle for cheaper, and the work on swapping an axle is much easier than gears.

If you are going to spend the money/time on new gears, I would get 4.56 gears. The change to 4.10 gears is just shy of 10%, while 4.56 will be about 21% change.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Don't fear the gear. 4.10's are an excellent choice. If you go with a bigger tire, 4.56's may even be good.

You will not regret 4.10's.

But finding an 8.8 may be easier.

If you swap the gears, pay someone to do it. You'll eff them up, and wind up with a trashed rear end after 200 miles.

fang619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
4 banger
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Manual
yeah i guess i should just go take a look at the junkyards before i go buy anything

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i got my gears for like 50.
but yeah sometimes u can get the whole axle for a similar amount.

my 7.5 has held the 4.10 gears so far with 31" m/t tires and the ocassional beating

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals