• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 BRONCO 2 4.0L Swap!!! GOING IN.

joshua_vance_fuller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1985 Bronco 2 that I picked up for mere scrap metal for $100.00 in ZigZag, OR (yes it is a actual town) over 6 months ago. Drained the tank, put fresh feul in it, replaced the feul filter, sanded the tips of the plugs and re-gapped them, and sanded the points on the distributor cap dumped about a shot worth of gas down the carb and the 2.8L spit some back at me at started running again...SHE'S ALIVE. After running it for about 2 months off and on, I decided to put some money into it and got her a tune up and oil change, plugs, wires, cap rotor...the works. I got to admit that the little 2.8L were peppy little V6's but after about a hour on the road and on the trails, I would have no clutch pressure on the pedal. I bled it, no air was in the line...I called the guy I got it from and asked if he had known how long ago was the clutch replaced, he said "about a year and 9000 miles ago". So im thinking, its fine but I looked online and found a clutch kit from rockauto.com for $60.00+shipping...So I got it. While it was getting shipped, I pulled the motor, clutch looks great...plenty of disc left. I pulled the pressure plate, disc, and flywheel off...and there it was, REAR MAIN WAS SHOT. It was slinging oil all over the surface of the flywheel and causing the clutch to slip. I was just going to rebuild it and reface the flywheel and put it back in the truck. I looked at prices for rebuilds, a little bit spendy for a motor that doesn't have that much horsepower. A friend of mine had 4.0L he just rebuild to go into his lifted pre-runner ranger for super-stock modified 4cyl. and stock 6cyl. But instead, he put a 360hp 2.3Turbo in it instead so he GAVE me the 4.0L for my truck. I have included some pictures in this post that I have some questions about. I have never wired something this extensive before, radio's, fog lights, nothing more. If anyone could send me links on this thread that can direct me in this process, greatly apreciated. I don't have both vehicals chilton's yet. Also a vacuum diagram would help as well as wiring diagrams for both 1994 Ford Explorer 4.0L and 1984 Bronco 2 starting circuit. If anyone lives in the portland, OR area and would help out a fellow ford owner, I would pay your gas if you like. Just please if your coming out to help me, show up in your 4.0L swapped vehical so I know that you have done this before. Please call me for any helpful tips or if someone is doing a swap and needs help because all I need to do is the wiring and I will be done

Attachments

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
still got that 2.8's carb? MAybe a few other bits? lol. It would be long shipping but the pieces maybe worth it. let me know what you got

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like the chopped top, that rocks. Those are auto tranny plugs in the pic, what tranny are u runnin? If its not an M5OD it won't hold up to much abuse.

My swap is done and I freakin love it. Tons of power!!!!! Just put a new front clip on too. The chiltons and haynes are really great for there diagrams. Check out ur library in the reference section. U might be able to make copies there instead of shellin out 50 bucks for 2 books.

joshua_vance_fuller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Update!!!

No one has yet to come and help, got the starting system wired in, cranks freely...Thank God! I still need a few things like overflow and windshield washer fluid reservoir, Carbon Canister and lines, Throttle Cable, Alternator Recharging circut wires, Fuel Connecters, Fuel Lines to the tank and fuel pump. If anyone has these parts let me know, not working with a lot of money here but I can float some money to whoever wants to help me, thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals