• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

why do you drive ford?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so i get asked this question all the time.. "why ford?" "there junk" yada-yada.

why do you guys drive ford?

most guys that drive ford are loyal fans, some of you just happen to buy a ford.

i myself, when i was young, i had a budget, and i had a vision. after looking online for a truck i could build that had a decent sized engine, that i could lift, easy to work on , and was cheap, i ran into a 4.0l v6 ranger.

after running to several shops every one said i didnt want this truck, i decided to buy it any ways.

i didnt want a toyota with a weak ass 4 banger, i didnt want a dana 30 jeep, the sye for that is stupid expensive, and every thing else was either carbed, or had ifs. so i figured the ttb was the best compromise. plus the ranger had a 4.0 which makes decent power.

after owning several fords, because no one wants them and there cheap because of that, without having any problems, i have become a life time ford fan.

.. and this site, i have yet to find another forum that has the amount of detailed information and help this site has. you ask a question.. you get an answer. the tech library, its simply an amazing database. thanks for all the help guys!

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My first car was a 1957 Ford Fairlane 500--$125.00--wrecked. It's not because I'm brand loyal--I just find the early Bronco IIs and Rangers fun small utility vehicles that are my kind of stuff.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am tall and I fit in Ford trucks, but not Ford cars, I fit in GM cars but not GM trucks
This is a head room issue and looking out the windshield.

Over the years I have own both GM and Ford trucks, what I also noticed is that Fords tend to break "big" and GMs tend to "nickle and dime" you, cost is the same.
I would rather have one big problem in 5 years than 5 little problems every year.
Just my experience.

Case in point are GM water pumps, 4 bolts easy to change, BUT you have to change them every 3 years, why don't they add 6 more bolts and make them like Ford water pumps that you change every 10 years, lol.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I asm not just a Ford man. We have many vehicles. I have only owned 4 Ford cars and trucks. 1 Mustang GT and 2 Rangers and a BII. My first car was a '65 Bug. My dad bought that new and gave it to me in 1969. I drove it until 1985 and sold it. It ran like a top and never had any issues. I still miss that bug. I have owned my '99 Ranger since new. I like the looks of it and it has never let me down. We have Jeeps, a Nissan and a Toyota. They all get driven. My Ranger does not get driven as much anymore. It stays in the garage more and more every year.

The best trucks with small motors will always be my beloved Toyota 22R series trucks. I had 2 of those and they were really great 4x4 trucks!!!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
It's the only vehicle I can...A-Ford...

Oh, sure, I've played the field...a Chevy Biscayne was my first car...followed by a Pontiac Strato-Chief...a Dodge Ramcharger...a Skoda...a Suzuki...

My longest lasting and most comfortable vehicle was a 1989 Ford Tempo...although it had its' problems (mostly replaced under warranty) it was a great car...then I bought my first Ranger...and have been fixing or upgrading it ever since...

Some day I will get it right...but I find it is usually easy to work on...and great for hauling stuff...but any brand pickup can do that...but none of those are four letter words...:)

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I started driving Fords because that's what was there. I started with my Ranger, had an Olds for a while, then went back to the Ranger. Drove a Chevy van, an F-150, and a 250 in the middle on and off.

I like the styling of Fords best of any brand between 1980 and 2007-11 (depending on model). I hate the look of the Edge and all these new "global" models.

As for why I still drive them, access. Every car maker has problems, but at least if I am driving the cars that I work on day in and day out I know what those problems are and have access to the tools and info I need to fix it quickly and as cheap as possible.

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
always owned fords thats what i have had the best luck with.
have also owned chrysler products and had nothing but trouble with them..

besides Fords are First On Race Day:D

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ill have to admit that the 22r/re is a great little motor, and the trucks are also awesome offroad, they got the whole off road mini truck thing started, the after market support is awesome too, but some stuff is stupid expensive, like an alternator, 400$, really?

my buddy claims he drives ford because they have torque where as chevy has horsepower? im not sure if that is true or not. one thing i do like about chevy is the way almost every thing interchanges. like the 4.3 and the 350. but after having worked on them, like the ifs silverado. what a pain in the ass to work on.

another thing i notice is that lately ford seems to be the only company that doesnt have recalls that kill people. they have minor issues, and they deal with them correctly. not like trying to avoid a situation that can kill your customer. a dead customer is not a returning customer, nor will there family return.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was raised on GM Back when they were good (the 70's and 80's were interchangeable). Back then a door was a door any parts could be swapped between models. But as I got older I realized that Ford made a better truck.

GM vehicles are the most car like with all of the gadgets, Ford is the most truck like truck, and Dodge is just weird (But the Dodge guys are die hards and can't explain it).

So after having owned all of them I choose Ford. I don't know what I will do for my next truck since the Ranger is no longer made here in America. I don't want a F150 because it is to big the Ranger is just the right size for me.

But back to topic there is a reason that I see no Fords in the junkyards and that is because they are still on the road. I was just working on a customers 88 F150 the other day (it needed a new muffler) that was still all stock, Never changed any parts.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My dad has owned nothing but Ford trucks for years. So naturally when it came time for me to get a set of wheels... I wanted a Ford truck. Enter my 2000 Ranger. After using it more like an F-250 on and off for several years, I was hooked on the quality. I got my first Bronco II because I really wanted a 4x4 to play off-road with and as much as I've loved the little Jeeps, they've been hidiously expensive around here. A BII seemed like a good second choice. My first one almost ruined me though, it was always down for repairs. My second one was trashed due to a previous owner. My third one was the first that I really got to enjoy. And with somewhere around 200k miles and obviously suffering some abuse, it was an awesome truck that I bummed around college in for a couple years, took off-roading a couple times, and sold to one of my professors for his kid. Sure, they break just like anything else, but as far as the chassis/shell goes, there is a fair amount of interchangability of parts.

Biggest thing is, I've gotten to drive a number of chevy/dodge/etc vehicles over the years so far. I'll stick with my Fords. 5 minutes behind the wheel of anything else and I long for my trucks. And the new chevys are scary.... at least their Express vans, when the ABS acts up, it will LET OFF THE BRAKE PRESSURE when you are trying to come to a stop. Nothing like the resulting leemer to wake you up. At least when the abs fails in a Ford, it just lights a bulb on the dash.

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
After working on vehicles for some time that question is easy to answer. Ford is the simplest and better engineered line of automobiles for the long haul. Easiest to work on and parts are not expensive or specialty like most other brands.

My parents growing up always owned chrysler products and that completely deterred me from ever owning one. Even with great maintenance as my father was great with vehicles they always had stupid quality control issues with manufactured parts and transmissions, I think everyone knows about Chrysler and transmissions.

Ive had my hands on just about every other make of vehicle over the years and even if they are reliable and dont break often when they do I just find myself wanting to hunt down the engineer team who designed the vehicle and make sure they never engineer anything again. I like to keep my vehicles for a long time and things will break so I like to be able to fix them without 8 hours labor to replace a spark plug or stupid things like that.

Owned 12 Rangers to date, 11 Lincoln Mark VIIs, 2 Jaguars after Ford redesigned them, 1 Taurus, 2 Mazda 626, 1 Lincoln Town Car, and a bunch of other Fords under all the sub names. Great vehicles with cheap parts, minimal issues, and easy to work on when needed.

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Great question and for me, I just don't know why. Got my first ford when I was 16 and never owned anything else (well I did have a MGA for a while; but, it was always broke). I really like ford engines and never had a transmission problem. They seem to last forever.

Just always bought Fords, I like them and trust them. The wife thinks the same about Hondas. Just about dies when she has to drive anything else.

Mr. Tarkanian

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My grandpa was a life long Ford fan, I've always taken up after him. Never cared much for GM, I never thought their cars were all that nice, and Silverado's are IMHO kind of plain vanilla boring.

Dad tries swaying me towards Chrysler, no thanks. I did have a 99 Cherokee XJ that was an absolutely amazing vehicle though, it was a credit to it's race. Really a wonderful truck. I thought I wanted a Wrangler, until I got one. I'll never do that again.

Most folk say the 2.9 was junk, but I've had great luck out of mine. It's reliable and gets pretty good fuel economy too. I consider the 300 I6 the most durable gasoline automobile engine ever made. And there are no other engines on earth that sound as beautiful as a Ford V8.

The Ford Mustang is the ALL AMERICAN sports car. It's not always the fastest, but It just has an appeal that the Corvette, Camaro, Challenger, nor any of the imports can match.

Not that I vehemently DISLIKE GM/Chrysler/Nissan/Toyota, I just like Ford's best.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
WTF?? On a Ford forum no less. If you have to ask you've obviously never owned one.
6 Ford pickups (1 Ranger)
2 Dakotas (Woof! Woof! and they drive like hay wagons)
3 Buicks to date (GMs best line)
2 Suzukis to date (tough little rides, almost a Ford)
1 PT Cruiser (don't ask, it was shameful)
2 Mercurys (almost a Buick, but not quite)
1 Grand Cherokee (tough, but you get raped on parts)
1 Chevrolet (Corsica, plastic junk, traded it off 6 weeks later)
1 Chrysler K-Car (ran like an anorexic kitten, and crapped like one, too)
I still carry Dad's 1930's vintage 30-foot log chain in my truck...cause I love to pull rice burners, hay wagons, and shivalays out of the ditch...for a fee of course. Bottom line...Fords have always paid their way and provided beverage bucks when the opportunity arises.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I gave up on a minor career with Fords about 1984. They were doing the stupid "this trans only fits that engine in that car " BS. back then too. After 20 yrs of wrenching and driving bugs that I mostly assembled using a growing stash of good stuff, the interfaces between new parts and older chassis. Bolt on stuff stuff. Bugs were essentially handmade until 1970 or so. 8 mm bolts with 13 mm hex heads is what held them together. Ford's were a PITA to deal with, and rust buckets to boot. When I was in Jr High , people gave me '56 Fords to play with. My first car was a '53 Ford. that I paid 5 bucks for when I was 10,say, 1961 or so. I know Fords , just none in the last 35 yrs or so. So far, the Rat has exceeded expectations. But it was never made to be repaired, just assembled. Hey my bad, I know what old Fords are capable of. But this truck is a whole other universe of cheap @$$,assembly oriented parts and engineering . The whole trick of Ranger maintenance or any car, is to have another car to drive while you fix which ever is ailing.
The Rat replaces the last of 5 Grand Wagoneers, spanning 25 yrs of child rearing. Despite the cheap features and general decrepitude of the Rat, it does OK. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Which is good I suppose, I've sure replaced a lot of them so far. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals