• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8-2.9 shortblock swap?

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is going to sound dumb, but i have a b2 with a 2.9 5speed, and a thrown rod. a friend has an low-mile 2.8 5speed from a v8 converson he did. queston is can i take the intake, injectors, and sensors off my 2.9 and put them on the 2.8? i know i could put the 2.8 in and get in running with the carb, but it would be nice if i could just swap the shortblocks and keep the factory injecton ext. hooked up and working. thanks for any help.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, you should have searched
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
no meaning the intakes wont swap? just looking at them the bolt patterns look very similar.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
since your search function is obviously broken, the only thing they have in common is the bellhousing bolt pattern, and that is merely because they were built in the same factory.

if you're still in disbelief because the intakes look "similar" go ahead and try it. its your time you are wasting not mine (with the exception of this thread of course)
or go to the parts store and get intake manifold gaskets for both engines, you'll see they are different part numbers and if that still doesn't convince you go ahead and open up those packages and compare them visually and you'll see.

vince87ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey i dont care if hes harsh. its that kinda person that makes people work harder to make somthin work just to prove them wrong. next hes prob going to tell us you cant weld spider gears in you axles, and that if you did it would never hold up on the street. despite hundreds of people have done it before. now im not saying that my plan would work, i was just asking if anyone had done it before.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
hes prob going to tell us you cant weld spider gears in you axles
what it sounds like you are confused because welding spider gears can be done (as opposed to this which can not be done) but like this case welding spider gears and trying to swap a 2.8 in place of a 2.9 just because the 2.8 was free..........you just want to save a buck. that's why anyone ever welds spider gears too. they're too cheap to spent the $100 to buy a spool which is stronger. don't let your cheap-ness negatively affect your truck. by going backwards from a 2.9 to a 2.8 (the reason the 2 are so different is because ford re-designed that crappy engine that had mechanical, and oiling issues, as well as lacking severely on power), and if you do don't let your cheap-ness let you go backwards from efi to carb just to "make work" the wrong engine just because it was free
and oh yeah, if you did that it would be breaking a federal law punishable by $25,000 fine (never seen it actually enforced. but just one more reason)

and no amount of "working harder to make something work" is going to make intake runners line up.

now if you're done not getting it (which i bet you're not) let me tell you how i would do it. get the 2.8l complet, and i mean complete exhaust manifolds accessory drive (i.e. alternator, a/c compress, p/s pump, they all mount differently)
install it. then go to the tech section (or just search :icon_rofl:) about installing the 3.8l throttle body on to a 2.8. ignore everything except where to get it, and how it attatches to the intake manifold.

next, take one of your injector plugs from each side of the engie (the 2.9 is bank fired just like a tbi so it only h as 2 injector drivers in the ecm anyway)
and attatch one to each of the 2 injectors on the throttle body.
you'll need to adapt the fuel lines from the 2.9 to the tbi. but i'm sure that you can "work harder to make it work"

and of course just re-connect the sensors, but since a 2.8 was carbed i'd bet you'll need to "work harder to make it work" by adding sensors to the 2.8 that were on the 2.9........not impossible

i think that the only deal breaker is that you may not be able to use the 2.9's distributor which has the cam position sensor built in

all that or just duraspark it and leave the 2.8 carbed

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Boys, be nice. Before the mods come in and tell you to be nice.

Much as I hate to burst your bubble but cam is right. The 2.8 and 2.9 have different heads, intakes, strokes, bores, and bolt patterns on all. For all the work and expense you'd go to actually making this work you would come out way ahead to just go buy a remaned 2.9.

If you really want to use your buddy's 2.8 do the 3.8 TBI mod.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
He put it in his quote.....lmfao....wow....nothing more to say.....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
i thought i was being nice :buttkick:
Yeah, it's not bad yet, but I can see this devolving into something that prompts a mod to give you guys warnings.
so does that mean that i am
About the 2.9 top end not being easily grafted onto a 2.9 long block at least.

i'm confused :dunno:

does that mean i would be proven "wrong" with "hard work" ? :icon_confused:
I think he might be referring to the adage about "with enough time and effort anything is possible".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals