• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E3 spark plugs

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Has anybody used the brand, E3 spark plugs in their 2.9.Ive been reading up on them and was wondering how well they worked.they don't need to be gaped.Also advancing the timing to 12 degs. from 10 will that make it run richer for the emmissions? And what's the benifit of doing it.

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
Has anybody used the brand, E3 spark plugs in their 2.9.Ive been reading up on them and was wondering how well they worked.they don't need to be gaped.Also advancing the timing to 12 degs. from 10 will that make it run richer for the emmissions? And what's the benifit of doing it.
i tried them a couple of years ago. went back to oem plugs. didn't like the way the B2 was running,

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just use oem copper core plugs, anything else just but undue stress on the ignition system

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
e3 plugs are cheap chinese JUNK. they're a complete gimmick. they advertise them saying that they "project the spark into the combustion chamber" bullsh!t, electrical arcs dont work that way, period. they take the shortest path possible, which is from the electrode to the nearest ground strap. theres nothing more to it.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh forgot to mention bumping the timing up 2 degrees or so has no real ill effects on a 2.9 and you should notice a little more power...

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everybody for your info, I think I'll go with what the Kunz Korner section advises to do for power inprovements.

boondockboost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a buddy of mine put them in his bii and he said they fouled in a few hours. and hes truck runs flawless with motorcraft plugs in it.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
It is physically impossible to have a "bigger" spark by just changing spark plugs... As long as they are gapped the same the spark will be the same relative size... It would take an upgrade to the entire ignition system to create a bigger spark... Plus, having more spark won't even do anything until you can start cramming more air in there...

bfiakas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1995 Ford 3.0 L that I am going to" side gap" the plugs and see how they preform. I read thats what racers do to get more power.:shok:

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is physically impossible to have a "bigger" spark by just changing spark plugs... As long as they are gapped the same the spark will be the same relative size... It would take an upgrade to the entire ignition system to create a bigger spark... Plus, having more spark won't even do anything until you can start cramming more air in there...
and one you start forcing more air in you have to dump in more fuel as well, but that can become very addictive

BII Plow Truck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
The show "Trucks!" (or was it Horse Power TV?) did a test of the E3 and they performed as advertised.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
The show "Trucks!" (or was it Horse Power TV?) did a test of the E3 and they performed as advertised.
It was Horse power and Stacy David GEARS show . Stacy even went to a uni that tested it. no view either way for me. I do think Restore works well.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah, because they were paid to show that they did.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Maybe, maybe not. A lot of those "tests" and "findings" are bogus because the tester is sponsored by the product they are testing.

Also, the 2.9's ignition system is finicky and fickle. It runs at peak kV almost all the time and so "performance" plugs just mess with it by splitting the spark and thus making it cooler. Newer systems can handle it by ramping up the volts. The TFI system can't do that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals