• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ranger transmission

Pete_Ranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi my name is Peter and I'm new to this forum but I already have a problem I'd like to get ya'll opinion on. I have a 1991 Ford Ranger and recently when I start it up cold (after its been sitting for a couple hours) it doesn't go into first gear and sometimes second (its an automatic). I press the gas and the RPMs go up but the transmission doesn't engage and it feels like the truck is in neutral. After a couple seconds of me revving the engine and cursing it jolts into gear. This happens for the first 4 or 5 times I try and go into 1st or 2nd gear when driving but after it is driven for a couple minutes and i go in and out of the gears multiple times its fine until I turn it off and leave it for a couple hours. If I turn it off and use it within an hour or so it won't happen and drives like normal. Anyway, let me know if any of ya'll have had this problem or if you know what it might be. The transmission isnt even 2 years old so I would hope I don't need to replace it. Fluid level looks good too, maybe a little dirty but its not low.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Are you checking the fluid level when the truck is warm?

are you running the transmission through the gears and holding it in those gears for a few seconds and then back to park before checking? P > R > D > R > P

smell the fluid on the dipstick, does it smell burnt?

if the fluid looks a bit dirty try changing the fluid and the filter.

The most common cause of slipping is low fluid level.

AJ

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
and whatever you do... don't let it slam or jerk into gear... that is rather hard on the transmission.

AJ

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like low fluid to me. After it sits for a while the fluid drains out of the converter. When low on fluid it has to fill the converter before it will go into gear/move.

Fix/service it or you will be buying a new transmission!!!

Pete_Ranger91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks y'all I'm gonna replace the filter, gasket and fluid ASAP. Hopefully that will do the trick. Its a pain in the ass to pull out into a street and have the transmission refuse to go into 1st and just be sitting there in an intersection revving the engine waiting for it to go into gear so I can move out of the way:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals