• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator problems with 4.0 swap

Mike P

Reaction score
Ive put a 4.0 from a 91 explorer into my 1986 b2. A new alternator was tested and put on during the swap and im having a problem with the alternator overcharging my battery. The alternator puts out around 16.5 volts and boils the water out of my battery.

I checked the I wire and instead of having 1 volt, like I believe it should, it has 3 volts. Am I right having the I wire of the explorer harness to the lg/r wire of the b2 harness?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It's funny but most people think the big difference whan swapping a 4.0 into
an '88 or earlier RBV is the engine management when infact the engine management is more or less "self contained", where the complexity of the swap really lives is in the completely different schemes used for "power distribution" on the upto-88 and the 89-on vehicles.

LtGreen/Red-stripe goes to "I" on both the early style alternator and the late style.

Which type of alternator are you using? the '85-91 style "slip terminal" output or the later '92-98 "internal fan" screw terminal output alternator?

on my 4.0 swap I used the the internal fan alternator, my '93 engine came
with a 95A alternator, but I eventually (as-in last saturday) tracked down
recently rebuilt (Junkyard gold) 135Amp alternator.

AD

Mike P

Reaction score
Considering this is my first and only vehicle, I have no clue what type of alternator it is and heres why.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f162/vbwavessuck/DSC01496.jpg

Judging by the red post id assume its the screw terminal and I've had it apart and it has some form of a fan inside, but what is screwing me up is it was a 91 explorer that this engine/alternator came from. Can you clear it up? I can take more pictures too if you need it

steiner_5000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats strange becuase I am having similiar problems with my 4.0 swap except my alt is underchargeing. I pulled the motor and everything from a 91 explorer. Is that what you did. If you figure anyhting out let me know it mite help me. Thanks

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey, at least your 4.0 runs. Mine's still sitting in my garage :annoyed:

Don't know if this will help you but this is the Alternator info I have for putting the 4.0 alt into a Ranger/BII

The black and orange from the 4.0 alt that turns to grey after a fusible link goes to the solenoid just as it did on the ex. The old black and orange on the ranger is junk. Cut it. The old orange and blue is also junk. Make sure to cover the ends with shrink wrap or elec tap to prevent grounding out. The yellow and white on both side can be spliced and the green and red as well

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I've actually gotten to the point where I'm driving my 4.0...

I had NO underhood wiring problems, but then again I had BOTH EVTM manuals
TWO complete '87 harnesses, two complete harnesses for the '93 engine I was
using and I wasn't rushing, it took me nearly three weeks to do the wiring...

The problem I did have was a loose ground next to the PCM that prevented
the computer from controlling the fuel pump.

having the right manuals makes things much easier.

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals