• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 performance mods

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just noticed i have not seen a performance thread. I will start by listing my performance mods and see if anyone follows. Currently i have a full manifolds back custom dual 2" exhaust to a single 3" converter then into a 3" borla muffler with 3" tail pipe in stock location. Installed an open element filter onto MAF sensor. On order is a set of gibson headers and a 65mm throttle body from a 99 mustang gt. Tomorrow i will be fully porting the upper and lower intake manifolds, and heads getting ready for the new parts. Soon to be ordered is a superchips tuner. I did purchase and install a bully dog watch dog to monitor everything. I would really like to get the 1.7 ratio rocker arms. Future mods to the truck include an 8.8 rearend from an explorer to get the rear sway bar and disc brakes. Then it will be lowered 3/4. Just wanted to see what your opinions are and see what others have done.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i think a lot of people here just swap out the 3.0 if they want power. seems to be the overall answer. i don't have a 3.0, my b2 has a 4.0. so i'm curious-- how much did all that stuff really help a 3.0?

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well as of right now im not sure. At school we have a chassis dyno and we are having a dyno day on the 17th. So i am trying to get everything done before then. Factory hp to the tires was 114 hp and 145 torque. I ran the truck at the last dyno day in complete stock trim. I am shooting for around 150 hp and around 200 torque. From everything i have read and talking to the mechanics at dealerships is the 3.0 is a really good engine. runs along time. the only draw back to it is that is doesn't breathe very well from the factory. So hence all the flow modifications i have done. My eventual goal is to get 200 hp to the tires. i know i should just swap to the 4.0 but my whole idea was to do something different.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well as of right now im not sure. At school we have a chassis dyno and we are having a dyno day on the 17th. So i am trying to get everything done before then. Factory hp to the tires was 114 hp and 145 torque. I ran the truck at the last dyno day in complete stock trim. I am shooting for around 150 hp and around 200 torque. From everything i have read and talking to the mechanics at dealerships is the 3.0 is a really good engine. runs along time. the only draw back to it is that is doesn't breathe very well from the factory. So hence all the flow modifications i have done. My eventual goal is to get 200 hp to the tires. i know i should just swap to the 4.0 but my whole idea was to do something different.
114 and 145? Not at all. Those are 4 cylinder numbers.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/3_0performance.html

You already are at 146/180.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Also says he ran it on a dyno... So I'm assuming that's where he got those numbers.

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Also says he ran it on a dyno... So I'm assuming that's where he got those numbers.
Yeah, I missed that tidbit, my bad.

Are the dyno runs free? Could you do everything in steps to see where you gain from each mod? For example, the big argument is that the open filter would produce a power loss, not a gain. It'd be nice to see that number alone before all the other mods are added.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On order is a set of gibson headers and a 65mm throttle body from a 99 mustang gt. Tomorrow i will be fully porting the upper and lower intake manifolds, and heads getting ready for the new parts. Soon to be ordered is a superchips tuner. I did purchase and install a bully dog watch dog to monitor everything. I would really like to get the 1.7 ratio rocker arms. Future mods to the truck include an 8.8 rearend from an explorer to get the rear sway bar and disc brakes. Then it will be lowered 3/4. Just wanted to see what your opinions are and see what others have done.
I'm interested to see your numbers. How are you planning on mounting the mustang throttle body? I don't know of any that will bolt on to the 3.0 upper intake. Also, there are no more bolt on 1.7 roller rockers being made. Morana only sells the 1.8's now.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why, you think .2 sec 0-60 is a great return. :icon_rofl:
I know people with seriously fast cars that would sell their wife & kids for a .2 improvement. So I guess its what's important to you:icon_confused:

JP02XLT

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i think if he can show any upgrades that prove to give more power with raw numbers on a 3.0, i'm interested. i don't even have a 3.0 but i'd like to know.

doyouquaxu

Reaction score
i think a lot of people here just swap out the 3.0 if they want power. seems to be the overall answer. i don't have a 3.0, my b2 has a 4.0. so i'm curious-- how much did all that stuff really help a 3.0?
i think you're 100% correct. this is a great motor for me to commute with, but that's about it. the term 'polishing a turd' comes to mind. i freed up a few mpg's from my intake and exhaust, and it sounds a little cooler. other than that, i am not touching this motor.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why, you think .2 sec 0-60 is a great return. :icon_rofl:
Actually, I think .2 seconds of improvement for a bolt on mod that cost $200ish is a great return. If I spent $1000, or labored for weeks and only got that much, it wouldn't be worth it.

I still don't understand why you even post in threads like this, or on this forum at all, if none of this modding stuff matters to you. We get it, you love your stock truck. I don't call you out for loving your stock truck, so don't call us out for wanting to mod ours.

Last edited:

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
..the term 'polishing a turd' comes to mind...
And finding a wrecked 4.0 ranger or explorer, ripping out the engine, transmission and wiring harness out and putting it all in your truck in place of a 3.0 to gain what, about 10 HP give or take and the incredible sewing machine sound on startup? Why can't people mod a 3.0? If it's already in there, thats half the battle...:icon_rofl:

rcpilot24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow i didnt know so many people would be interested in this. I have a 5 spd. Sad to say but i ported the intake manifold out and only got 2 3/8 inches on throttle body opening. I need 2 1/2 for the 65mm. So my plan is to have my friend cut down the 65 to about 62 and make a sleeve for the 65 body. I know kind of hacked but its what i have to do. The dyno we have is free to auto club members. I agree with the statement the engine is already in the truck so modify that one instead of buying another. OBTW the 4.0 dynos at 160 with k&n intake kit and a dynomax 2.5 single exit muffler. I know this cause my buddy has it. If i can match his numbers with out doing any internal modifications i will be happy. Rocker arms do not count as internal right? lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals