• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Upgraded to an 8.8, few brake questions

Mazdab2300guy

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hello all!

I have upgraded from the stock 7.5" open 3.45 axle in my 95' 2wd B2300.

I pulled an 8.8 LSD 3.73 axle in the junkyard from a 1998 4x4 Ranger.

I plan to upgrade the factory 195/70R14's to 235/75R15's hence the reason for the axle swap.

My question is this;

If I do the rear disc brake swap will I have to upgrade master cylinder?

If I keep the factory sized rear drums will I need to upgrade the master cylinder?

I do not mind swapping I just want to do this right the first time.

Thanks for all the help so far!!

-Brian

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have seen a lot of mixed reports about what is and isn't needed for doing the rear disc swap. When I did it I changed out my master for one from a 95 Explorer and have had no issues since the swap was completed.

On a 2wd 4-cyl engine witha 7.5 rear that should be a 9in brake, don't keep that. Anything that comes on an 8.8 is better than that.

If you do disc or 10" drum would depend greatly on what the 8.8 came from. If it was an Explorer unit that already has discs do that. If it already has drums, do that.

Mazdab2300guy

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have seen a lot of mixed reports about what is and isn't needed for doing the rear disc swap. When I did it I changed out my master for one from a 95 Explorer and have had no issues since the swap was completed.

On a 2wd 4-cyl engine witha 7.5 rear that should be a 9in brake, don't keep that. Anything that comes on an 8.8 is better than that.

If you do disc or 10" drum would depend greatly on what the 8.8 came from. If it was an Explorer unit that already has discs do that. If it already has drums, do that.
Thanks for the quick reply.

The rear I pulled is from a 1998 Ranger 4x4 so I assume it had the 10" drum (had to pull them off at the yard).

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
That *should* be a 10" drum. It'll be darn near 2x as wide as your current 9" drums.

I kept the 10" drums on my Ranger, TONS better! (I did use an Explorer axle, but mine was older and had drums still) I can feel the ABS kicking in when I step on the brakes hard now. The Explorer drums and the Ranger drums use the same hardware.

I know people are all about disks, but honestly, my drums work just fine.

*edit: Oh, and I kept my stock mater cylinder.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Each setup has it's pros and cons. A drum can be just as strong as a disc, but it has to be much larger to do so. Drums are harder to work on, which is why I hate them, and why I went to discs.

On the other hand, drum brakes are much cheaper. Top quality shoes are usually similar in price to bargain bin pads, and drums usually come in about 2/3 the price of rotors.

For example, where I work the biggest, best set of brake shoes we have (I think they are for a Ram 2500) are about $20. Our cheapest set of brake pads (for some dinky Kia) are $18.

Last edited:

Mazdab2300guy

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
That *should* be a 10" drum. It'll be darn near 2x as wide as your current 9" drums.

I kept the 10" drums on my Ranger, TONS better! (I did use an Explorer axle, but mine was older and had drums still) I can feel the ABS kicking in when I step on the brakes hard now. The Explorer drums and the Ranger drums use the same hardware.

*edit: Oh, and I kept my stock mater cylinder.
That's all I needed to hear. I will keep the drum setup but I will upgrade to the finned 93-97 Aerostar drums.

Thanks!!

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
HAHA! I did as well. But I did have to take my drums to the local machine shop and have the centers opened up a bit. Of course, mine is a 31 spline, and yours is the 28 spline. I believe for the Ranger's this is a direct swap, but ask to see the Ranger drum and make sure it's the same size.

That being said about cost, my Aerostar drums were 1/2 the price of the Explorers (they wanted a little over $90 for the Explorer drums!) So even with $15 apiece extra machining costs it was still cheaper!

Mazdab2300guy

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
HAHA! I did as well. But I did have to take my drums to the local machine shop and have the centers opened up a bit. Of course, mine is a 31 spline, and yours is the 28 spline. I believe for the Ranger's this is a direct swap, but ask to see the Ranger drum and make sure it's the same size.

That being said about cost, my Aerostar drums were 1/2 the price of the Explorers (they wanted a little over $90 for the Explorer drums!) So even with $15 apiece extra machining costs it was still cheaper!
I think they should just slide over since it's a 28 spline shaft.

As far as cost goes, I am a manager of an automotive shop so my cost is low compared to the average guy.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I just swapped my 7.5" for a 28 spline 8.8" from a 4.0L non fx4 ranger. It was a 100% direct swap. I know it's not a 31 spline yadda yadda, but lets be realistic, I'm going to snap something else in the driveline with my diesel swap before an axle shaft. U joints and transmission/tcase are my first bets.

I transferred over my 10' drums/shoes/hardware to the 8.8" and even used the same U bolts from the 7.5". With the drums adjusted properly, it stops MORE than well enough that I can't justify a disk swap at the current time.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Yeah the 28 spline stuff is really underrated. It generally holds up fine. Shoot, there's people with a welded 7.5" that beat the crap out of them and they hold up. The spider gears generally go in those, once you get rid of that weak link they're quite tough too.

Mazdab2300guy

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I was going to go with a 31 spline 8.8 disc from an Explorer but I asked myself why?

The 28 spline is plenty beefy enough for my 2.3. I just swapped axles to gain a limited slip, it was the cheapest option.

I also moved up from 190/70R14's to 235/75R15's so I ditched the 3.45 rear in favor of a 3.73 rear.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Just FYI:

The center hole diameter on the drums/axles was enlarged by ¼" for 1998 Ranger axles. I found this out after swapping my old pair of '94 axles into a '98 Ranger 8.8" and trying to put the '98 drums back on.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I was going to go with a 31 spline 8.8 disc from an Explorer but I asked myself why?

The 28 spline is plenty beefy enough for my 2.3. I just swapped axles to gain a limited slip, it was the cheapest option.

I also moved up from 190/70R14's to 235/75R15's so I ditched the 3.45 rear in favor of a 3.73 rear.
Agreed. I only went 31 spline in my rig because I happened to have one. Actually I would have kept the 7.5" but I wanted a selectable locker, which there is none offered for the 7.5" :sad:

Mazdab2300guy

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Just FYI:

The center hole diameter on the drums/axles was enlarged by ¼" for 1998 Ranger axles. I found this out after swapping my old pair of '94 axles into a '98 Ranger 8.8" and trying to put the '98 drums back on.
Shouldn't be a problem for me. I will get the drums that match my year axle.

Agreed. I only went 31 spline in my rig because I happened to have one. Actually I would have kept the 7.5" but I wanted a selectable locker, which there is none offered for the 7.5" :sad:
Yeah I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals