• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

sanity check before axle search

southcycle

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right the first time when are you going to have time to do it over?
Hey Guys, I'm new here and I've read a lot and have a plan. Please comment.

93 Ext Cab 4.0 has 3.27 non lsd rear axle and manual locking front hubs. No A/C, body is a little rough but mostly rust free. Interior is not pretty but functional. My intended use is DD with some offroad. there will be some interstate hwy miles put on. No rock crawling planned, but mud is gonna happen. Possible snow and ice. Need decent highway and road manners. I want to minimize body and suspension lift to keep handling intact, but have no problem trimming fenders and bumpers to fit larger tires. From what I've read I'm limited to 31 inch tires, but if I'm willing to trim extensively are 33's a possibility?

I plan an Explorer rear axle swap. I think I need a tire plan before I start searching for an axle to keep cost down. It looks like 4.10 is the lowest stock ratio on an Explorer, will that be OK with 33's? Will I find a 4L10 axle tag in the junkyard...I hope. For the front I plan to change the ring and pinion to match the rear ratio and think about a locker while I'm in there. Or should I limit myself to the 31's and make my search easier by looking for a 3L73 axle.

Or should I just run it on 31's as is no lsd and keep the winch handy?

I live in Dallas but the truck may live in Michigan where I vacation and may retire...

What are you guys opinions?

Thanks,

Southcycle

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The issue is going to be finding a first generation explorer with 4.10's to get the FRONT diff out of.... because I've never seen one in 20 years of looking and I've never heard of someone (who I completely trust) seeing one either

You probably could find a 1996-01 ?Explorer with 4.10's they are fairly common particularly 1998-01 with the 4.10SOHC engine but you won't get a front diff out of one of those but a disc brake diff should be easy to find....

You might want to consider sticking to 31's and re-gearing to 3.73s if only because they are far more common...

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Buy a disc brake explorer 4.10 8.8, they are pretty easy to find.

Then you can buy a set of New gear's or the front or you can try to find a 4 cylinder 5 speed Ranger get the gears out of it. I have old three rangers that have Factory 410 in the front Dana 35.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
The problem is that 90% of the 4.10 TTB trucks will have the hybrid 35/28 front axle. Everything looks like a D35, except it has a tiny ring and pinion and the shafts neck down to 3/4" inside the diff, but...the hybrid will hold up to quite a bit if its left open. We put one under a 4.0 swapped Bronco II with 31" Boggers without any issues. Rev limiter and rocks didn't phase it for 2-3 years of offroad abuse.

3.73 and 33s isn't a horrible combo for a weekend wheeler, and they are far more common....I ran that combo for a few years under my 4.0 Ranger.

donaldcon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forgot about the hybrid crap. Mine where street rigs and never had to open them up. That's a pretty good point.

I ran 33 for a long time on my d28 welded with 4.10 gearing but it was gutless 2.8

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
For a DD that sees mostly street use, I would probably do 31's and 3.73 gears. Gears are relatively easy to find, you should get decent fuel economy, tires are a little cheaper and easier to find. I went through this kind of debate with my F-150 work truck. The 31's look a touch small after upgrading the suspension, but 3.45 gears were easy to get (the automatic F-150s typically had them) and 31 seemed like the better tire choice. I run Mastercraft Courser CT tires on it and they work great.

As far as 33's go, you could probably fit them with minor lifting. IIRC, I ran 33s on my choptop with 3" of lift and that has smaller wheel openings. I had 4.10 gears and a 2.9 with that setup, worked just fine. 4.10 gears didn't work so well with the 2.9 when I put 35's on, but a 4.0 swap fixed that

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

southcycle

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right the first time when are you going to have time to do it over?
Thanks for the replies! I found a 3L73 Ranger rear axle which would make for a simple rear swap. I'll now search for 3.73 r&p for the front which I verified to be a real Dana 35 not a hybrid. Is there a LSD for the Dana 35? Should I consider a locker in the front? I'll be in there for the gears anyway...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Limited slip from the rear of a Jeep that had a D35 with something like 3.45 and lower gears is supposed to fit in the front D35.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
3.73 & up (hi-ratio) carrier from a Jeep D35 fits the TTB D35.

4.10 TTB D35s do exist, but as said they are not common.
Look under '90-'92 4-cyl (2.3L) trucks. Some 2.9L w/auto trucks of those same years got them as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals