• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

pats

forvy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
big problem have 02 ranger 4cil goin to put 51 f1 on want to keep motor and auto trans thing is have had truck 4 years drove home lost key never regerstered title bought key cilnder and ring with plug for pats how to by pass pats or can I put older harness and cpu on it

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can't by-pass PATS, it is an anti-theft system, it would be a poor one if you could by-pass it.

Most mobile locksmiths can make and then add a new PATS key to your system.
I assume it doesn't drive now but you could tow it to a Ford Dealer and they can do the same.

I think the '02 will have PATS type E so will have a starter motor interrupt along with fuel disabled.
And I think a PATS module above the glove compartment, computer and module are "married" so you can't just swap the computer.

You could swap computer and module(from same vehicle) but you have the 2.3l Duratec not the 2.3l Lima so not sure where you could get a computer without PATS for it.

There are people who customize computers, they can eliminate PATS as part of the programming, but it's not cheap.

Last edited:

forvy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
K could I use 98 complete harness under hood and under dash

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, '98 Ranger's came with 2.3l Lima engines
2001 or 2002 and up Rangers got the 4cyl 2.3l Duratec.
Never read about it but I would think the computer's programming would be different, so you would end up with a poor running Duratec engine.

Your least expensive(no matter what it costs) and best option is to have a PATS key made and added, get at least 2 keys made and added, 2nd and 3rd key are cheap once 1st key is made.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
An aftermarket tuner can delete the PATS functions from the PCM. If you're planning lots of custom stuff, it's probably going to be necessary at some point anyway.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals